Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-22-2012, 04:12 PM   #1
lmvtt

Concrete slab repair prior to tile installation

I have pulled up the old tile from the concrete slab in my home and will be installing new tile soon. There is an area in a hallway where a crack goes across and is about seven feet long. I chiseled out all the broken and loose concrete fron the crack and now I'm trying to figure out what best product to repair this crack. There are areas in this crack where the hole is an inch or more wide and an inch or more deep. All the concrete products I've seen in Home Depot or Lowes are for cracks that are narrower than this.Most say they are good for repairing cracks up to 1/4" or 1/2".
Is there a concrete product that I can use that will fill these larger areas in one application rather than trying to layer it in thin layers one over another? Given that the crack is varied in width and depth and the irregular nature in general, it would be difficult to try and layer in the repair.
My home is in Phoenix and the slab is 40 years old. The slab is pretty much level across the crack so it doesn't appear to be heaving or sinking on either side. I assume that since the house is 40 years old, the slab is not likely to move or shift any further. Thanks for any help.
Mike
Unread 03-22-2012, 04:27 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Mike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
The slab is pretty much level across the crack so it doesn't appear to be heaving or sinking on either side.
Sorry, if there is any vertical displacement between the sides of your crack, your chance for a successful ceramic tile installation is essentially nil. You can, of course, tile over it if you like, it being your house and your tile and your dinero and all, but I'd recommend you at least look into alternate floor coverings.

As far as patching the crack, I'm not sure what your purpose would be there, but one of the Quikrete products at Homer's would likely work fine. Even it it requires more than one application, you're only talking about an hour or so between'em. But again, I wonder at the purpose.

You do understand that you'll not be making the slab whole again, right? The crack is still there, it's just filled up some.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
I assume that since the house is 40 years old, the slab is not likely to move or shift any further.
While I, on the other hand, without even knowing your geographic location (would help if you'd enter that into your User Profile), would assume that the slab is likely to move at least twice a year.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase