Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-16-2021, 08:46 AM   #16
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
You'll also want your grout joints to be very full, Russ, basically level with the top of the tile. Rolling around a floor jack with its hard steel wheels could easily chip the edge of a tile, especially if one is right on a joint while supporting a load.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2021, 02:30 PM   #17
r-mm

Great point Dan. Is there any trick to achieving this result I should be aware of? I imagine that care needs to be taken with the float and sponge?
Unread 10-16-2021, 07:03 PM   #18
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Depends somewhat on the type of grout you're using. Old-timers sometimes used a wet large sheet of burlap that they pulled across the floor at a very low angle, so that almost all of it was laying flat on the floor to clean the joints.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2021, 06:25 AM   #19
r-mm

I haven't purchased the grout yet but after the advice I've received I'm leaning to a quality cement based product like Permacolor Select. If another product would make the full joints easier to achieve, I'm all ears.

Thanks
Unread 10-17-2021, 06:51 AM   #20
ss3964spd

Great care, Russ. It isn't really the product that'll make for a full joint.In your favor is that you can start in an out of the way area and refine your grouting technique. You really don't want the casters of that engine hoist hung up in a low grout joint with a Giulia engine hanging from the chain.

While Spectralock seems like a good choice, in my limited experience it doesn't work like a cement based grout, and it might be difficult to clean off those matte finished clinkers, especially if they're not glazed. Also, given the size of those tiles and a grout joint of at least 1/8" you're going to go through a lot of grout, a lot, and SL is a bit pricy.

Speaking of glazed/not glazed, have you tested one of those tiles for liquid absorption? Some 10W30 would do nicely....
Unread 10-31-2021, 02:43 PM   #21
r-mm

Hey guys

Bit of a change in direction. I decided to see how well the epoxy was down there and while it is mostly down there pretty good it was not down well enough that I couldnt scrape a bunch off in a day. So I guess ill carry on and take it all up.

Given this I suppose the prime and bond would not be needed and if anything could be detrimental. The concrete is nice and clean under the epoxy. I had rented a grinder and cleaned the slab before painting the epoxy down about five years ago

Name:  IMG_6747.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  3.2 KB
Unread 11-01-2021, 10:30 AM   #22
Dave Gobis
da Man!

Smart move.
Dave Gobis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2021, 05:58 PM   #23
r-mm

Beginner question about laying running-bond clinker floor

Hello all

After scraping up epoxy to reveal concrete I'm about ready to lay these 4"x8" German clinker tiles in my garage workshop. The classic look is running bond - the last picture attached is inspiration (not my garage sadly). I'm writing with a very basic question: how best to maintain that pattern? My garage is quite forgiving with regard to walls - for all intents the edges besides this stair landing are obscured by vast quantities of stuff. So my challenge is keeping the pattern aligned, square and so forth. I'll be using Laticrete 254 and Spectralock grout with a 1/8in joint.

My instinct was to mark the centerline of a tile on the staggered row and then move out from there using a laser to check periodically. I know this sounds like a very basic question but I have no pride in presuming I know the right way to approach a new task.

Thanks
Rus
Attached Images

Unread 12-04-2021, 06:12 PM   #24
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Russ. I like using a chalk line to pop a grid on the floor. Some careful measuring will give you the distance between lines. If you pop the lines for every other tile, you can do away with the spacers making the install go faster.

Also, for a shop floor, I'd use a cement based grout. It'll be much cheaper and easier to work with. Custom's Prism would be my first choice.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2021, 07:19 PM   #25
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Russ, you scraped off the epoxy coating!!!

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2021, 08:20 AM   #26
ss3964spd

Hi Russ, we've merged your new thread with your previous one since they concern the same project. We can change the name of the thread if you like, just let us know.
Unread 12-05-2021, 08:45 AM   #27
r-mm

Thanks guys - appreciate the help and no problem with the merging, that was the right move.

Davy - to be clear you are saying to pop a grid throughout, not just to get started? In other words, a whole bunch of lines, correct?

Tool Guy - Yes, I rather laboriously hand-scraped the epoxy. I'm only 1/4 done but think the easier part is ahead of me - where the car was parked looks like it took more abuse and will yield quicker.

I have some corners where I really need to grind. I've seen videos of a scarifying attachment on an angle grinder and think that's the way to go. Here's my 4.5in grinder - does anyone have a grinding disc and dust-shroud attachment they can recommend?
Attached Images

Unread 12-05-2021, 10:06 AM   #28
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Russ, I have seen a dust shroud at Home Depot along with cup wheels. You'll need to make sure the shroud will fit your grinder and buy the appropriate size cupwheel.

Yes, I take the time to grid the whole floor. It takes a little time but in my opinion makes it faster in the long run. Just make sure your lines are accurate and square.

Here's a little tip. Lets say the distance between your lines is 13 inches. Instead of popping a line and moving your tape measure, lay a tape down each wall and pop lines on 13, 26, 39, 53 and so on. The less you move the tapes, the more accurate the grid will be.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 12-05-2021, 11:34 AM   #29
r-mm

Thanks Davy

This seems to be a good use for my 90deg laser - once I have the first line snapped (represented by tape) I ought to be able to snap out the rest quickly.
Attached Images

Unread 12-05-2021, 11:55 AM   #30
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Yes, I noticed your laser in post 23. Figured you would put it to good use.

www.davystephenstile.com

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase