Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 07-01-2018, 09:14 AM   #1
djm

Another contractor failed install

I'm getting overwhelmed with the house projects so I hired out the kids bathroom to a contractor previously used by my in-laws. We hired him for bathtub subway tile, floor tile, vanity, toilet, etc.

The guy did not use spacers, suggesting there was a built in spacer on the tile edge. Now the tiles are so close you cant get the grout past the bevel into the joint. Absolute worst grout job I have experienced. Guy seems willing to correct his work but how can this be fixed without tear out? Scraping grout will be a nightmare.
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2018, 09:35 AM   #2
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

Who picked out that grout color?

Those joints do seem a tad high or overfilled. Removing the grout will be a nightmare but not for you. It can be fixed. And have him fix that tile while he is at it.

That style of tile usually has a built in spacer. Or you could have gone with a bigger spacer. But that would have looked horrible considering the grout color.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

It's just a clever handle.
Shady at Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:13 AM   #3
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Yep, what Travis said. The contrast in color shows every imperfection. White grout would have blended much better. But he should have known that from the beginning and been more particular. Doesn't look like he even wiped the grout haze off with a clean rag afterwards. Doing that will probably help some but some of the joints need to be redone, like around the corner shelf.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 03:53 PM   #4
tilelayer
South East PA Tile Contractor

The shelf looks like it was placed in a corner that was over 90 degrees or square which made that wide joint between the shelf and tile. Dark grout on light tile will show every flaw, even the best mechanics work can look subpar with such a contrast in grout. Work still looks amateur at best.

Good luck

***New Here?? Click here to add your name to your signature***

Check out my Blog and see my latest tiling projects!

Specializing in Kerdi Showers
tilelayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:30 PM   #5
djm

Thanks for your input. This guy came recommended so I'm really confused. Grey grout on white subway looks fantastic if done correctly. Meeting with him Monday to tell him to re-do the whole thing. Realistically that is what I want, who knows what he'll do. Lack of spacers just killed the whole install if you ask me. Nothing will fix it.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:56 PM   #6
cx
Da Home Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
Lack of spacers just killed the whole install if you ask me.
'Fraid that's more like lack of talent, Dan.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:18 PM   #7
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Dan, I'm not saying it shouldn't be grouted with gray grout, it's just going to show more imperfections that matching grout wouldn't.

I'm not so sure the second time would look any better. Hopefully I'm wrong.

www.davystephenstile.com
Old 07-07-2018, 09:20 PM   #8
mark999

Dan,
I appreticed under a master tile setter for years. When I first started working here is what he said. A good grout job will make an average setter look good. A good grout job will make a good setter look great. A good grout job will make a premium setter look like an artist. And a bad grout job will make any setter look bad. You only have close up pics . Can you give some pics of full walls and the whole thing. It might be salvageable but the guy doing it would have to have a very high skill set and be very careful not to chip a bunch of tiles other wise you could end up with the dominoe effect. the one tile that is sunk in needs replaced.The shelf either had too much poo behind it or the walls are not square.Either way I think it could be reset and split the diff. between the 2 walls with an even grout/caulk joint. Is there caulk at all changes of plane?
Old 07-08-2018, 09:25 AM   #9
djm

Not a single drop of caulk anywhere. Everything was grouted.

My halfway point with this guy is for him to tear out the deco tiles and everything above it, those areas seem to be the worst. Plus scrape out excess grout.

more pics
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2018, 09:07 PM   #10
Topspin
SchluterUgrad

If all we saw was your newest pictures it would have made the project not look half bad. If it were white grout you probably wouldn’t notice any of it. Yes a few tiles look like they could be replaced here and there, but all in all it from your longer distance shot it doesn’t look too bad, other than the high contrast in grout color.

Were i to have done that project I typically would have siliconed the corner caddies with white silicone, same with the vertical corners. But that’s just me.

But if we were standing in your tub looking at it, the way you can, that perspective might be different than what your latest pictures which show.

Topspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:25 AM   #11
greenjp

He did the old long-long/short-short pattern in the corners too. Takes about 2 minutes of thought to avoid that.
Old 07-28-2018, 08:40 PM   #12
djm

Angry

Dude came back to try and make the grout lines consistent because no matter the grout color it's bad. Whites don't match each other in real life anyway. White tile, white shelves, white grout likely will be slightly off and things will stand out.

I can see the ridges from the trowel behind the tile, holes everywhere, chipped tiles as well.

All this because he did not use spacers to create an acceptable joint... he insisted the tile had built-in spacers (which he mistook as a beveled edge). Even worse, had he bothered to tape the seams between durock I could have lived with it for awhile but without that it's not even waterproof. Sorry for the negativity just venting. This is my 'middle' bath and the only bathtub for my kids.
Attached Images

Old 07-28-2018, 10:09 PM   #13
cx
Da Home Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
had he bothered to tape the seams between durock I could have lived with it for awhile but without that it's not even waterproof.
Dan, the taping and filling of the seams in your wallboard has nothing at all to do with the waterproofing of the shower. That must be done separately.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 09:23 AM   #14
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Sorry Dan but you're also wrong about the grout color. Dark grout draws your eye to the bad spots and wide joints. White grout wouldn't do that near as much. The voids will show up regardless of the grout color.

Unsanded grout is usually fairly soft right after it's installed. Going over each joint with a microfiber towel will narrow some of the wide joints. You might try that.

I agree with you that his tile skills aren't very good. I would let him touch up the voids and have him wipe it down good. Then I would go ahead and let your kids use it until you decide what to do.

www.davystephenstile.com

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase