Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 06-05-2018, 04:57 PM   #1
Midge82

Time sensitive -advice needed on crooked install please!

Hi there. i'm new to the forum. I wish I could say i was doing my own install, but I'm not as cool as you guys. I had to hire someone.

The house is a little slanted, but not terribly so. I've had tile installed in a much more crooked house that turned out great.

I'm having a tile bath surround put in, as well as tile wainscoting. The tile on the back wall was installed today but not yet grouted. The way the installer chose to accommodate for the unevenness (he said he "split the difference") seems to emphasize the problem. It makes the window on the back wall look much worse than it did with the previous tile. It also makes the ceiling look WAY more uneven than it is.

It seems to me like a strange choice to have the small slivers of cut tile at the top where it's really obvious. I called the owner of the company (the guy who installed is one of his workers), and he said he'll check it out at the end of the day tomorrow to see if it's level, and if it's level, it's done right. I feel like if it's visually so far off, it doesn't matter to me if it's level. (And I don't know yet if it is level, but I think maybe not because the installer made the "splitting the difference" comment.) Meanwhile, I obviously don't want them to grout it.

Is it reasonable that level doesn't necessarily mean good? Could this be improved? Would it help if the cut tiles were at the bottom, not the top? I'd appreciate any thoughts or some idea of how to handle this.

Many thanks!
Old 06-05-2018, 05:59 PM   #2
smifwal

Well the bigger the piece the more it would hide the crookedness. Can you post a picture? Use the paper clip icon above
Old 06-05-2018, 08:17 PM   #3
Midge82

Here's a photo of my crooked bathroom wall....

Would love to know what you guys think!

Thank you!
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2018, 08:54 PM   #4
smifwal

Well that is something? Looks like a good 1 1/2 on the right. I am interested to see what they say and the outcome
Old 06-05-2018, 08:57 PM   #5
Just In Tile LLC

My opinion is if the ceiling is as far off as the tile cuts suggest, and the tile is level, there's not much to make it look good. The domino effect of running tile out of level would create a bigger nightmare everywhere else. I would not run my tile out of level to parralel a ceiling that is that far off. (If it is as off as the picture suggests)

Personally I'd of brought to your attention that you're ceiling is going to detract from your new tile job and suggest ways to remedy it before I tile. Maybe sliding the layout up or down could of "helped"... but the ceiling is pretty bad no matter what, and asking someone to lower their standard of work to try and achieve a even cut there and ruin all the other walls since they connect is out of the question in my book.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:04 PM   #6
Just In Tile LLC

Another option that's too late is stop the tile just over the shower head and trimmed it out there, not having those straight lines so close to the ceiling.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:36 PM   #7
Midge82

previous photo for comparison

Well, the funny thing is that the ceiling never looked very out-of-whack before! This installation, and I think it's because all of the thicker pieces are on the right side, emphasizing the slope, has make the ceiling look much much worse. I'm attaching a photo of the previous ugly flesh-colored tile, which actually didn't make the bathroom look so askew. I know it's not a great photo, but i think you can get the basic idea...

Thanks,
M.
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2018, 09:39 PM   #8
Midge82

and one more photo...

Name:  IMG_6413.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  23.9 KB
Old 06-05-2018, 10:59 PM   #9
lati_cz
michal

not sure what/why the installer did.
the original bath has same cuts on bottom and sides, looks square... and ok
but the new one looks funny as hell....
Old 06-05-2018, 11:08 PM   #10
Topspin
SchluterUgrad

On the ceiling issue - Put a level on his top full,wall to wall grout line. If it is level then he has done his job as a tile man.

What you then need is a Carpenter and drywall man.

On the window, the tile man should have shimmed that to square, plum & level.

Topspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:27 PM   #11
lati_cz
michal

his first row starts on left growing up to right. I think he marked tiles wrong and it should be vice versa. The whole install looks like falling to the right side.

Every time I do install out of plumb/level, I make sure client is aware of it.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:06 AM   #12
Midge82

So i checked it and does appear to be level, but it looks wonky. The tile owner claims that if it is level, everything is fine. But it seems to have been installed in some strange way - on the bottom row, left to right is bigger and gets smaller as you head to the right. smaller. The top row, the biggest tiles are on the right and get smaller as you go to the left. The visual effect is basically an optical illusion that makes the ceiling look way worse than it really is. The window has never looked so crooked. Is there anything in particular that I can Reasonably ask him to try to adjust? Iím not trying to be unreasonable but I would like to be happy with the job and not have it look like a wall in pa fun house. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Many thanks!
Old 06-06-2018, 09:46 AM   #13
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

I think that's bordering on bizarre looking. I'd be grabbing that level there and checking:

1. If the level is accurate
2. If so, then I'd be checking ceiling, horizontal grout lines, floor and anything else handy.

It almost looks like floor is sloping in relationship to tub. Kinda like a Funhouse mirror!
Old 06-06-2018, 10:32 AM   #14
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I can't see the ceiling in post 7 so I can't say on the old tile job. Looks like you're holding the camera out of level on the first pic, which makes it look like everything is leaning. In my opinion, the ceiling is so bad that nothing would have hid it. But, he had to have seen it before ever tiling and should have brought it to your attention. That way you and him could have gone over it and come up with a plan that you both would like. I could see running the tiles out of level 1/4 inch on purpose within 5 ft to help the cause but no more than that. The walls should be within reason for him to start with, then he might can fine tune the tile job to look good. Grouting with white grout will help a little but it will be noticeable regardless.

www.davystephenstile.com

Last edited by Davy; 06-06-2018 at 10:43 AM.
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:35 AM   #15
Canaris

I had a slight variation and I installed crown molding.
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase