Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 06-15-2018, 09:15 PM   #16
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Justin - If you can, add one more trick-of-the-trade to wet shimming - Slit the back side of Hydroban Backer Board and turn the corner with the same sheet. You'll get perfect, crisp, plumb corners every time. Excellent for small mosaics.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 02:53 PM   #17
Just In Tile LLC

I like it Paul, and will try it out first chance I bid a shower for a newer system. I'll be in Webster Texas Wednesday for the wedi class. Not expecting too much for a 3 hour certification.... but... hopefully I'll learn something new.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:02 PM   #18
smifwal

That's fantastic. Paul you got all the tricks
Old 06-20-2018, 10:17 PM   #19
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

It only took me 39 years to become an overnight success.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:58 AM   #20
Just In Tile LLC

Enjoyed the training, of course I talked about mud and basically the selling points against it were when it's done wrong or an emotional trigger to icky feelings for the customer ... no preslope, holds water for months, it's old messy. But the points I had to agree with were weight, setup and cleanup, wear and tear on the body.

I'm going to make the transition slowly, definitely another tool in the toolbox.

On another note I can see the appeal, in the hands of a disciplined tile man these systems work excellent. Opening the market up to less skilled workers on the waterproof side means less skilled tile work, but just because mud is hard and skill is required also doesn't guarantee a good install either. Double edged sword of making it easier. It's easy to stereotype a tradesman by the prep method he chooses to do, and by switching from mud mentally it's like my skill level has dropped... which obviously isn't true. Thanks for reading my rant.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:13 AM   #21
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Justin,

I have always campaigned for DIY access to products, and I continue to do so. I realize that product manufacturers open them selves up to increased cases of improper installation, but I counter that with the knowledge that when DIYers receive adequate advice (John Bridge Forums, for instance), they often come up with professional level finished projects.

And let's face it, a dedicated DIYer is going to do the work one way or the other. Our goal here is to make sure they do it right.

I encourage manufacturers to open markets to consumers while continuing to provide adequate training and support.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:37 AM   #22
Just In Tile LLC

I do hope one day to get recruited to the educating side one day John, I do have a passion for the trade and in self education for it. You can go as deep into the rabbit hole as you want with knowledge, even though it can be debilitating sometimes to know or think too much into it.

And the point you make, people are gonna do what they're gonna do, better to educate them on the best way leads to a better industry overall. The hacks will be less hackier and the artist will be more artistier. <----Patent pending new words.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:53 PM   #23
tilelayer
South East PA Tile Contractor

I was skeptical at first to use these products, then i switched over to foam. It was great until my gc's all saw how fast i was installing it. Then they decided to install it themselves and cut me out. Mud work is a skill and that skill protects you and makes sure you have work everyday. I'm sorry if i sound selfish or union minded but its the truth. Mud is also a true and tried method that has stood the test of time.

The manufacturers don't care who buys their products they would sell these products to a monkey and a giraffe. The products should only be able to be sold to licenses installers. I would love to walk into an HVAC house and buy a new coil and airhandler wholesale. But I can't. Any shmo with a trowel and bucket can go buy these foams at competitive prices and install them.

***New Here?? Click here to add your name to your signature***

Check out my Blog and see my latest tiling projects!

Specializing in Kerdi Showers
tilelayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 04:02 PM   #24
Just In Tile LLC

So in the end Derrick what's your percentage of mud to modern systems? At this moment in time I do mud exclusively for tubs and showers floors I go with durock or mud if its way out of wack.

I do mostly remodels, very rare I do new constructionů yet in this past month I've had two GC's call me for 5 showers total. One of those GC's jobs I'm actually doing now on a lakefront property Are you saying careful which jobs I choose to do the foam on when I decide to try it because the ease of install and profit will turn their heads and possibly weed me out

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase