Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 02-14-2019, 08:06 PM   #16
dsc_pat

Merci Wolfgang, ton francais est excellent.

I was suggested a concrete base, Shluter membrane over it and Mapei liquid membrane on the walls. The contractor suggesting it has done several like that and tells me he can something reliable this way.

I am unsure about ending up doing it myself, as the law may give me the right to have it redone without me paying for it all.

Should I insist on the Shluter base and full wall membrane ?

Should the membrane go not only over the curb, but continue a few inches on the bathroom floor ?

Thanks again for your precious time.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:40 PM   #17
makethatkerdistick

Can your contractor do a hybrid system? Sure. But will it be guaranteed? No. Depends on how he cobbles it together. If you use Kerdi on the floor, you must 1.) use the proprietary Kerdi drain (otherwise it will fail) and 2.) take the Kerdi up the wall at least some before you paint on your membrane. If you don't do that, how could you reliably waterproof the change of plane from floor to wall? That would be the weak spot. Now, if your contractor in his brilliant mind devises a hybrid installation, you must ask yourself why. The answer is: to shave off a few bucks. If he goes to great length of installing Kerdi on the floor and using the Kerdi drain, it's not that much more expensive to do the walls also with Kerdi.

If the membrane wraps around the curb completely, that will be fine in my estimation. I've used Ditra on my floors and thus tied the Kerdi membrane into the Ditra, having a completely waterproof assembly. But if your floor tile stays put, then you can't do that. If the shower's done well otherwise, that certainly isn't necessary.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:06 PM   #18
dsc_pat

Thank you, makethatkerdistick. When you write about kerdi on the wall, are you talking membrane, or board ?
Old 02-16-2019, 05:51 AM   #19
Lou_MA

Taking it up the wall, it could be either. But I would definitely want some liquid waterproofing reinforcing fabric, or kerdi band, at that floor to wall joint. As well as some seam treatment if he transitions the wall substrate to cement board at some point.

Which still begs the question - why do a hybrid? Pick one system, follow instructions, and don’t look back.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase