Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 02-10-2019, 09:42 AM   #16
Tile Ranger

Well, almost none.

Follow the rules, or else!
Tile Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:10 PM   #17
808 Tile

@Tilemanct I can say Mahalo(thanks) enough my friend. Those words of wisdom are truly taken in to consideration. I also just talked to another tiler who takes on all the jobs and admits just do it he tells me. Itís better to have work then not to have work. He also says I been busy for the last 10yrs doing work for shady contour I need to feed my ohana(family) so itís more of quantity not quality. He then says at first I didnít wanna do it and look back at it and try to fix the lippage or chips but wasnít make the deadline now I kinda came a custom to just laying it down. Some contractors tell you donít back butter just put the mud down and go. He tells me that 75% is to make it quicker and to spot butter. But then again he mentioned that he didnít like it at first but if thatís what pays the bills then heís forced to do it. 😳🤔. Thanks again my friend for all the words of encouragement. 🤙🏽💯🙏 Aloha
Old 02-11-2019, 10:02 AM   #18
Dave Gobis
da Man!

When I was younger and full of myself I had the same thoughts about bad tile work, they can't do this to people. When I would point out the errors of some of my competitors ways to my GC's they would roll their eyes in the back of their heads. A few said I was too hard to work with and cut me off. We had to back off a little or there wouldn't be no money for rent and groceries. Never changed my thoughts on the subject and always looked for jobs where it mattered. As time progressed we had to do fewer and fewer jobs where we compromised our work and values. Towards the end of my contracting career about 75% of our work was just do it and maybe a little less was done on a budget number with no promise of a firm price. Several of the guys that cut me off years ago became my best accounts because they knew we did it right and on time. If a job came along where that had no value they would say this job is not for you Dave and I left it alone. In the end it all worked for me and I wouldn't do it any other way. Sometimes you have to chose between groceries and being a moralist.
Dave Gobis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:43 PM   #19
808 Tile

Mahalo Dave 🤙🏽🙏. Yeah but as for now Iím just the worker who can see it from far but far from good. Yeah my wife also just stated that I need to calm down not everybody is tryna do it the right way but we must pay bills and until I get my contractors license thatís the only way I can go forward. Doing things the right way but of course making money at the same time. Thanks again Dave for your words of wisdom.🤙🏽💯
Old 02-13-2019, 07:43 AM   #20
tilemanct
Tile & Stone

...and if there is anyone on this forum you should listen to, its Mr. Gobis.

CTEF Certified Installer
I lost my hero on 5-21-16 You will be missed. Semper Fi
tilemanct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:28 PM   #21
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Retired Moderator

I've seen some of that here too, though if you scan these pages a bit, you'll find it pretty much everywhere there's tile work being done.

To answer the question "what do i do?", well, that's up to you. You can walk, or you can tile. I've done both here. The ones I've prepped, I know will last a good long time. The ones prepped by others, who knows. I know for a fact that many don't prep properly. From not checking underlying structures, to not waterproofing properly or at all, to using inappropriate mortars, to you name it.

That said, there are good setters here. Keep lookin.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:02 PM   #22
808 Tile

@DANA MAHALO🤙🏽 Just canít believe they allow these guys to do high rises. Let alone get their license. Canít wait to get mine. Until then I gotta be the solider and listen or Iíll have to march lol😂🤙🏽
Old 02-14-2019, 12:55 PM   #23
Jim Farrell Tiler
dont blame me i didnt vote for him

is there no legal comeback for the dooers of dodgy work, i would have thought that America being the land of the lawsuit you would have to do it right or face the consequences
Old 02-14-2019, 02:05 PM   #24
speed51133

You can always sue someone in court, at any time, for any reason. The thing is lawyers are not free. Filing a suit and then going to court would require up to tens of thousands in legal bills. You do not get to recoup the legal fees. EVEN IF you win, collecting the judgment is a whole different story. The court has almost nothing to do with it. The contractor can just tell you to pound sand, then it is up to you to put a lien on his business/assets or hire a debt collector that can purchase the judgment for a reduced cost, hire a collection agency that dings the business's credit, etc.......

You can do it yourself, but most people have no idea how to do this and are not willing to learn or do a poor job of filing and representing themselves.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase