Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-07-2019, 10:34 PM   #1
PhillyJoe1

Anyone built a shower like this before?

Interested in thoughts on best construction methods of this type of shower. Family member with dyskinesis has trouble with changing pitch of shower floor. I have built a few mud pan showers in the past using the methods endorsed on this site. The only difference I see is structural mods (recessing/strengthening supports) to accommodate a slatted platform. My questions are: if I use Ditra (or similar) on remainder of bathroom floor, how do I transition my pvc pan liner to the floor? Normally, I terminate the pvc at the vertical front of the curb, but no curb here. Second, I like the look of wood, but I think the upkeep would be too much for her. Has anyone tried to use composites (Trex, etc) in their indoor shower? I see quite a bit of outdoor examples online.
Right now just educating myself on the pros/cons of this shower.
Thanks for any advice given. Jose
Attached Images

Unread 12-07-2019, 10:47 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Jose.

So, the part of that photo that you're asking about is only the level wood slatted floor, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose
My questions are: if I use Ditra (or similar) on remainder of bathroom floor, how do I transition my pvc pan liner to the floor?
You don't. You would use a direct bonded waterproofing membrane and a bonding flange drain instead. In your case, if you've elected to use Schluter products, your shower would be waterproofed with Kerdi membrane.

I would use Ipe (possibly what's in your photo) in that application. No maintenance at all required. Last longer than you. Well, maybe I should first ask how old you are.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!

Last edited by cx; 12-07-2019 at 10:56 PM.
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2019, 11:20 PM   #3
PhillyJoe1

Thanks, CX. If I recess the pan to accommodate the proper slope and additional measure for the wood structure, what material would work best for the vertical transition from the pan floor to the bathroom floor (~2" vertical) - cement board, schluter board, float mortar? I am concerned about the integrity of the joint where the plane changes. Will Kerdi provide enough protection over the chosen material (of course all structural enhancements would be in place).
Unread 12-08-2019, 12:27 AM   #4
PhillyJoe1

Here is what I had in mind. Change made to reflect point drain with membrane flange as recommended by CX. Concern is the red area and possible cracking of tile at this plane.
Unread 12-08-2019, 12:28 AM   #5
PhillyJoe1

oops. here's the attachment!
Attached Images

Unread 12-08-2019, 09:05 AM   #6
cx
Moderator emeritus

It's difficult to use CBU in narrow sections like that, Jose. Were I doing your shower I would likely elect to bend some expanded metal lath into that horizontal/vertical corner and use fat mud on the vertical portion when I was placing the deck mud shower floor. Then you would run your Kerdi vertically an extra several inches and turn it horizontally onto the Ditra bathroom floor.

You do understand that you must tile and grout this entire shower receptor over the Kerdi before you can set in your wood grate, yes? My personal preference for the membrane would be the former USG's Durock Shower System membrane, which is thinner than Kerdi and takes a crease much better, but either membrane can be made to work in your application.

I would also recommend making the drop in your floor for the shower deeper than your planned two inches so you would have more vertical space to accommodate a wood grate assembly. Your plan is to make the wood grate flush vertically with the outside bathroom floor, yes?

I can find no information about the medical condition you're attempting to compensate for and therefor can't determine which aspects of this construction are important.

Unread 12-08-2019, 10:19 AM   #7
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Yes. This shower was featured on the 2012 AIA home tour
Attached Images

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2019, 10:20 AM   #8
Houston Remodeler

STAR Senior Contributor

I made the wood floor from Ipe. In 3 sections as to be able to clean underneath

Unread 12-08-2019, 01:38 PM   #9
PhillyJoe1

The drawing was borrowed and modified from one I found online, so the proportions may not accurately reflect the actual measurements. My recess would be based upon the calculated preslope at perimeter (max), plus tile, membrane, thinset, and wood slat with cross member tie (hold slats in place while maintaining level surface).

CX, as for the lathe and mud, I can see that would provide the necessary strength. I was most concerned about the vertical plane separating from the plywood floor and cracking that grout line.
Our family member has Parkinson's (pretty advanced) and when she gets on a 2% rise she gets unsteady. I attached an image of the last shower I did for her with a Kohler pan as (the subfloor was marginal). Used Schluter boards with Kerdi for the walls and recess. She moved into a new ranch over basement to make life easier.

Paul, beautiful work. I will use your cue and divide the platform into manageable sizes. Are you using a linear drain beneath that wood? It would probably make creating the tapered cross member easier.

Thanks again all for taking time to give advice!
Attached Images

Unread 12-08-2019, 02:16 PM   #10
cx
Moderator emeritus

What I was mostly trying to ascertain was whether a small step in either direction would also be a hazard, Jose. Sounds like that would not be acceptable either.

As for the change in plane at the corner you were concerned about, you'd want to use a flexible sealant for movement accommodation in that tile joint regardless how you finally treat the stepped area.

Unread 12-08-2019, 02:40 PM   #11
PhillyJoe1

Thanks CX! I always think of using sealants when the plane changes inwards, this is the same thing just outwards. Makes perfect sense now.
Unread 12-08-2019, 08:09 PM   #12
Houston Remodeler

STAR Senior Contributor

Jose,

That particular shower has a center drain. We made the legs different heights to accommodate.

Unread 12-10-2019, 05:47 AM   #13
PC7060
...unrepentant, detail focused, over-analyzer.

Beautiful work Paul. What is under the IPE?
PC7060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2019, 01:09 PM   #14
Houston Remodeler

STAR Senior Contributor

The slab on grade SOG was dropped 3.5 inches. We installed Schluter foam boards on the walls, pre-sloped the sunken slab to make the right pitch to the drain, covered with kerdi membrane. The shower base is a typical 4x4 tile sloped to the center drain. If you remove the wood deck, you have a normal shower which you would step down 3.5 inches to.

Unread 12-13-2019, 08:03 AM   #15
PhillyJoe1

Schluter Trim Question

Anyone see any issue with using Schluter Rondec-Step to trim the edge exposed from floor adjacent to linear sloped shower? That 2 piece shower trim they make looks like a trap for debris. Of course the Rondec-Step would be profile cut to slope and extend entire width of shower.
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase