Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-26-2006, 06:12 AM   #1
dougrus

1/2" drill rec??

Hey Fellas...

I have finally smoked my drill mixing thinset...an old craftsman 3/8....done...an honorable death for a drill though....
SO Im on the hunt...
Does anyone have a favorite 1/2" drill that works well with your paddle bits...

Thanks
Unread 09-26-2006, 06:20 AM   #2
EEEO
General (Tile) Contractor

Though I don't have one, there are drill motors specifically made for the task. My fossil of a Milwaukee 1/2" drill motor is still going strong and probably will for years to come.

This is basically the one I have except mine is a fossil as I've said. The thing is pretty much bullet proof.

http://www.tylertool.com/mi1612incodr.html
Unread 09-26-2006, 06:37 AM   #3
prashster

IMHO, you'll find plenty of fans of the following brands: DeWalt, Porter Cable, Milwaukee, Makita, Bosch.

Personally, I like Makita and Bosch products. But I don't think you'll go wrong getting any of the above mentioned brands.
Unread 09-26-2006, 08:04 AM   #4
NVC
Tile Contractor -- Napa, CA.

Hi Doug,

My vote for Milwaulkee drills. They use 'Jacobs' chucks, which are top drawer IMHO.
I swear by my milwaulkee 'hole hawg' but it's an expensive drill motor to not be used every day (approx $325.00) It'll turn any bit known to man.

hope this helps,
Mark
NVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2006, 08:06 AM   #5
Lakee911

I use a cordless Festool drill in low gear. It's great. It's powered through more than my 21V Craftsman drill ever would. I don't mix mortar that often though, but the charge lasts through many buckets. It has a 1/2" chuck and I've never found anything that it won't handle. It's got a lot of torque/battery life for a small fella It's got a three year warranty too.

http://www.festoolusa.com/ProductDet...prodid=PC1213S

Jason
Lakee911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2006, 08:48 AM   #6
CharlieM

A couple of years ago, I was using my regular 1/2" drill to mix a batch of slc indoors to avoid the below zero temps outside. I hate to recall what happened when my normal "jerk the trigger" method got away from me near the start of the mix and the drill went full speed. Took me 3 hours to clean that mess off of everything in sight.

Next day, I bought this:

http://www.tylertool.com/mi1612incodr.html

Variable speed and low rpm. I've been a happy mixer ever since. Definitely a great tool for mixing. Great for drilling serious holes in stuff like 6x6 timbers too.

Charlie
CharlieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2006, 09:08 AM   #7
dougrus

Thanks,

The Festool looks great and the cordless option is attractive, but its a little out of the range I wanted to spend...It seems that a couple of you have recomended that Milwaulkee...Im going to look around some more but that looks about my price and the type of long lasting durability I am looking for....thanks for all the advice so far....
Unread 09-26-2006, 05:59 PM   #8
EEEO
General (Tile) Contractor

I think it will serve you well Doug. I've tried to kill mine on several occasions but it's more stubborn than me!
Unread 09-26-2006, 07:01 PM   #9
Dan Clark

Talking Festool not 1/2" but great

The Festool C12 is not a 1/2" drill, but it is by far the best drill I've ever owned. Here's mine:

http://www.festoolusa.com/ProductDet...prodid=PC1224S

(Of course, I don't expect to mix thinset with it. )

Dan.

I am... Tileless in Seattle
Dan Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2006, 07:37 PM   #10
dougrus

That there Festool is a nice looking unit! Just did the bathroom think its time for better half to pay up in TOOLS seein how much dough we saved...

Eric, Mark and Jason,

Thanks for the advice... After much online research...
Im gonna go with the Milwaukee 1660-6

That thing looks like a frickin' tank...

Cant tell you how happy I was when the 3/8 went up in smoke...I was sure to fan a little upstairs...
"honey whats that smell"
"Thats the smell of my NEW drill being shipped tomorrow."

Last edited by dougrus; 09-26-2006 at 09:02 PM.
dougrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2006, 08:02 PM   #11
ceramechanic

Hi Doug,
I bought a hle hawg two years ago, and on my seventh batch of mud the spline snapped. So I returned it for another one and six months ago it started to "smell" of tiredness so I retired it as a backup.
Now I have the Dewalt 1/2" variable spd/Max 550rpm and it's lighter and cheaper.
Eric said his is a relic or fossil or something and I Know many installers who have OLD hole hawgs and they are still like new.
Don't get me wrong, I still like my hole hawg, I just think they may not be "made like they used to be." I hope you'll comment on your experience with your new hole hawg. I am the only one I know that has had any problems with it, and twice in row.
Unread 09-26-2006, 08:05 PM   #12
Dan Clark

Talking How do think I rationalized/justified mine?!?

"That there Festool is a nice looking unit! Just did the bathroom think its time for better half to pay up in TOOLS seein how much dough we saved..."

So it's goes like this...

"Wow, I need a drill to get between the joists to glue and screw!" = Festool C12!

"Wow, I need a good saw to rip and cross-cut the joists to size!" = Festool TS55 + CT22 + MFT1080 + guides!

"Wow, the joists aren't flat on top!" = Festool Planer + Festool sander + Makita belt sander! (Big score on this one!)

"Wow, I have slots to rout..."

"Yes, honey... Look at all of the money we are saving by having me do the work!"

Dan.

p.s., I think I'll write a movie about this and name it like the Spike Lee movie ("Mo Betta Blues"). I'll call it "Mo Betta Tools"!

I am... Tileless in Seattle

Last edited by Dan Clark; 09-26-2006 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Added p.s.
Dan Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2006, 09:08 PM   #13
dougrus

pter...

Good to know...some tools they "improve" for certain reasons and they wind up screwing with a tried and true design.

I will definetly reserect the thread after mixing several batches and let you know how it turns out.
Unread 09-27-2006, 06:42 AM   #14
prashster

I think as cost competition has increased, a lot of tried-and-true brands are not so great as they once were. Most notably, I'm not impressed with Craftsman or DeWalt products any more. I think DeWalt has more fans out there than anyone, but I have a VSR that blew the chuck and can't hold a candle to my Makita cordless 14.4v. But that's one data point. Also, I know Makita used to make a KILLER portable table saw, but the latest iterations of it have been pretty complaint-ridden. It's a little harder to get quality these days. In DeWalt's defense, they make a battery-powered finish nailer that makes you wanna bang trim all day long! (oops, did I say that?)

I've never used any, but if I ever get a coupla thou$$ for indulgent tool spending, I'm gonna get me some Festools. They seem to be the Ferrarri's of hand tools...
Unread 09-27-2006, 08:58 AM   #15
dougrus

Shawn,

I feel the same way about Dewault. I still have an old cordless drill handed down from dad and since have been through one Bosch and one newer dewault...I have heard numerous other stories that verify....
As for Craftsman, I have an old table saw that is D-I-E-S-E-L...Un-frickin'-breakable...I cant even begin to describe how much abuse that thing has taken...One of those tools that you intentially treat like crap so it will go...and it just wont. Actually though, recently, I cleaned her up and put a new blade on her... Earned my respect I guess...resigned to keep her for a few more years.
I hear terrible reviews on the new Craftsman stuff...

Whats the model on that finish nailer....

Those Festools are really pricey...I dont know if I use any one particular tool that much to justify it...but I DO have a bunch of guitars...several of which I would never miss if I unloaded them on ebay...why the hell not...

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase