Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-28-2020, 08:48 AM   #1
Rman

Caulk or Grout for mitered outside corners

I just completed setting tile for a tub surround that has mitered outside corners on the niche and on the columns on either side of the tub. I am using Mapei ultracolor Plus FA grout, and Mapesil T caulk that is supposed to match the color of the grout. I plan to use the caulk at the inside corners of the tub surround wall, and I am wondering if it is better to caulk or grout the mitered outside corners.
Attached Images

Unread 04-28-2020, 10:37 AM   #2
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

The "rule book" states flexible sealant in that corner, but I wouldn't. My only caveat would be that substrate corner was reinforced around said corner.

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2020, 11:47 AM   #3
Rman

Thanks Peter,
The corner is reinforced with heavy duty backer board tape, set in with setting mortar, and covered by Mapei Aquadefense with a cloth strip embedded over the corner. I was thinking that grout would better protect the corner, and that I could use some sandpaper on it to smooth it out a little, but I had also read that caulk should be used at changes in plane.
Ron
Unread 04-28-2020, 12:28 PM   #4
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
When framing that corner with studs, Ron, did you mechanically fasten all the studs together?
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2020, 12:32 PM   #5
Kman

You can try grouting it if you want. Worst case scenario, if it doesn't hold up, you'd have to remove the grout and caulk it.

I've found that outside corners seem to be the worst for movement, but that doesn't mean yours won't hold up. A lot goes back to how well you built it and secured the corner studs together. I think you did all you could do with the substrate.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2020, 07:09 AM   #6
Rman

Thanks Dan and Kevin,
The framing is very well secured. (corners are glued, clamped, straightened on a jointer and screwed to the rest of the wall framing) There is also blocking between all the wall studs, and a layer of 3/4" plywood well fastened with screws to the face of the framing.
Unread 04-29-2020, 08:46 AM   #7
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron
The framing is very well secured. (corners are glued, clamped, straightened on a jointer and screwed to the rest of the wall framing) There is also blocking between all the wall studs, and a layer of 3/4" plywood well fastened with screws to the face of the framing.
The OCD is strong with this one it is.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2020, 10:16 AM   #8
Kman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rman View Post
Thanks Dan and Kevin,
That's all?

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase