Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-05-2016, 03:46 PM   #1
topaz1975

Problems with "professional" stacked stone veneer install on brick fireplace

So i was too lazy to do it myself, and got a professional to install stacked stone veneer on our old brick fireplace. They just left after 3 days and are 90% done and I am not so crazy about some of the results.

I have never worked with this type of stacked stone myself, so I am not sure what kind of gaps and tolerances are normal, but some seem to me that they are not acceptable.

Also, there are over a dozen spots where the corner of the stone has splintered off when they cut it. Again, is that acceptable with this type of material, or not?

Just curious what others have in experiences with these stone veneers. We used actual real stone (quarzite) that comes in 6inx24in panels, similar to this:
(thats homedpot, it wont let me post the link)
MS-International-Golden-Honey-Ledger-Panel-6-in-x-24-in-Natural-Quartzite-Wall-Tile-LPNLQGLDHON624/205906536

Im posting some pictures of the gaps and splintered pieces. Also on one side the edge/ transition to drywall seems very unfinished to me, and also has an inch wide gap.
Attached Images

Last edited by cx; 06-05-2016 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Light up link
topaz1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-05-2016, 05:43 PM   #2
sycamorebob

That does not look good... May-be some pictures not so close up?

Link: http://www.homedepot.com/p/MS-Intern...N624/205906536
Unread 06-05-2016, 05:47 PM   #3
Kman

Welcome to the forum, Gene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene
So i was too lazy to do it myself, and got a professional to install stacked stone veneer on our old brick fireplace.
No you didn't.

What you have there looks pretty bad. As requested, more pics.from further back.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2016, 05:58 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Gene.

How 'bout you back up a little and give us a photo with some perspective of the installation.

I've never had a problem cutting those stones without chipping. What tool were they using?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2016, 06:30 PM   #5
rmckee84

Looks like a hack job...
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2016, 07:26 PM   #6
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I hate to pile on but that looks bad. It should be obvious to the installer that if the stones are butted together within the panel then the panels must also be butted together. There's no other way that it will look right, they must be butted. A no brainer to most folks.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2016, 07:27 PM   #7
topaz1975

as requested, a few more pics from further back. It's not completely horrible, from 10 feet away it looks ok. But for just "OK" I could have done it myself, this was a $5500 job including material and a small 10ft section of walkway that they repaved.

They cut the stone veneer with an angle grinder, not sure if it even had a diamond blade. The other thing that I questioned: They went right over the brick with no scratch coat or backerboard, which wasn't easy. There were about half a dozen granite pieces in the brickwork that they had to chisel off first (took one guy a full day on those).

Also, one of those two shelves is totally not level, it is an inch too low on the left side. And the transition between the stone and wainscoting is a total joke. Just noticed that one...
Attached Images

Unread 06-05-2016, 07:32 PM   #8
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

There's a reason it's called dry stack. I don't think you're being unreasonable to demand that they fix it. I hope you haven't paid them yet.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 06-05-2016, 08:02 PM   #9
topaz1975

Thank you all for your replies.

I am wondering what they could do to fix it. Can you grout the worst gaps, or would that make it look even worse? Other than that they would have to take out all the damaged or ill fitting pieces and fit new ones properly?
Unread 06-05-2016, 08:55 PM   #10
Kman

I don't think I'd try to grout anything.

I think I'd take a few minutes and look over the entire installation and pick out the places that bother me the most. Put a piece of blue masking tape on each spot to mark it. Point them out to the installer and tell him you'd like those pieces removed and replaced with better fitting pieces.

If, by chance, there are so many that you can't live with, a complete redo might be in order, but it doesn't seem to be as bad as that. The best thing you can do is have an honest conversation with the installer on a professional level.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2016, 12:59 PM   #11
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
I don't think the lack of CBU, and the lack of a burn coat, is an issue but the wide gaps and un level shelf certainly are IMO. There's no way I could live with that - it would eat at me every day, regardless of price paid.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2016, 06:55 PM   #12
topaz1975

Thanks again for all your feedback. I followed Kman' advice and marked the worst spots with tape and sent them a list of what I didnt like. In my lunch break i came home and we went over the list. They were not happy at all, but ultimately spent an extra half day fixing 80% of what I listed, and the rest are minor things that we can live with.
Unread 06-06-2016, 10:23 PM   #13
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Retired Moderator

Good for you.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2016, 05:36 AM   #14
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Glad it worked out.

www.davystephenstile.com

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase