Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-22-2021, 04:14 PM   #1
Scubadoog

Wet Saw Capacities - Best for ripping 30" porcelain

Hi All. I'm getting ready for my first tiling project which is 200 sq/ft of kitchen floor. We have chosen 15x30 inch porcelain tiles and I'm concerned about being able to rip a 30" tile. Any suggestions of wet saws that will handle that job, or am I overthinking this? Trying not to break the bank and have been looking at the Ridgid 9 Amp Corded 7 in. Wet Tile Saw with Stand, but I'm afraid it will not accomodate the 30" rip (I think it may cap out at 24".

Thanks for any ideas!
Unread 11-22-2021, 04:37 PM   #2
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Doug. Any sliding table wet saw is capable of this. Having said that, if the table isn't long enough, you only need to set the tile over the end and run the tile thru it. As you get to the end, you can drop the tile onto the "flat" of the table and continue on. You obviously need a "fence" to keep the tile square on the saw....but it's doable. I do this all the time on the 7" "diamondback saw from Harbor Freight.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2021, 04:38 PM   #3
chrishmm69

My new kitchen tiles are even longer (47"!) and I have the 10" Ridgid wet saw. Im not even attempting to rip them, so a couple tips:

1. Make friends with a local tile store and float the idea of having them rip them (if they do their own installs) or maybe ask if they know a company that would.

2. Setup a layout such that there are little to no rips. I laid out my kitchen project such that we only end up with 2 rip cuts, and only 1 of those will be seen. The tile store I bought tile from said to contact them when I might need the rip cuts and they'll see what they can do.

If you really want to try and rip them yourself, I believe your best bet is a tabletop table saw format tile saw. That way you can slide the tile over the flat table, whereas the portable Ridgid stand saws have the sliding table that technically limits the longest tile you can do. At least with the tabletop setup you can build infeed and outfeed "extensions", so you can easily slide a big tile from front to back with full support the whole way.
Unread 11-22-2021, 04:46 PM   #4
Scubadoog

Thank you both. Laz, I had actually considered the option you laid out and it's nice to see my fanciful notion might work.

Chris, as for layout, I have been work up the whole thing in Sketchup to minimize as many difficult and unnecessary cuts as possible. I also thought about the desktop idea with outfeed as I'm very used to using my tablesaw similarly. Damn my wife for preferring the larger tiles!

Cheers.
Unread 11-22-2021, 05:45 PM   #5
chrishmm69

My wife picked out our gigantic tiles too. There must be some class they take in school to learn about making our lives more difficult

I used a pay-per-month program called Precision Tile Pro to (mostly) lay out our kitchen. it doesnt have a "random" pattern feature, but its easy to create the correct room shape, "fill" it with tile (using actual tile measurements), adjust the grout line and then move the whole pattern around to see where tiles and grout lines line up with parts of the room. It gave me a rough idea, but because Im not a pro (i.e. my time is free, just ask my wife ) I actually did a dry layout of the whole kitchen, so I could get a completely random set. Wood plank tile looks better that way, or so Im told......

It looks spectacular, and I was able to greatly minimize "special" cuts (like rips and corners). But I spent today undoing the layout and stacking the tiles for each course, tomorrow hopefully I can actually start setting the tile.
Unread 11-22-2021, 06:09 PM   #6
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Most table-saw style wetsaws have awful fences and are quite a bit slower spinning than your typical tilesaw that has a sliding table. It's easy to have your fence slightly non-parallel to the blade that leads to drifting away from your cut line or your tile getting jammed between the blade and the fence. If a bridge saw isn't an option, I'd much prefer using a typical tilesaw with a sliding table that you need to cheat the first portion into the saw like Laz describes.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2021, 11:36 AM   #7
Nicpaus

They have a large tile saw at floor and decor for $1300. But it looks cheesy compared to my MK Saws. I just went through this issue with 48" x 48" tiles. Tried to buy a Abaco bridge saw but out of stock until March.

I ended up buying a AccuGlide saw system and its working great. It will double as a countertop saw for vanities and the occasional kitchen countertop saw.
Attached Images

Unread 11-24-2021, 10:39 AM   #8
Scubadoog

Given how few tiles I will cut . . .

Am I crazy to think that I can forego the wet tile saw and just use an angle grinder with a good cutting wheel to do this job? Or is that just asking for trouble?
Attached Images

Unread 11-25-2021, 12:13 AM   #9
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

For floor tile that doesn’t have exposed cut edges, you can totally get away with just a grinder. For many of my floors, I only use a tile snapper and an angle grinder to handle all of the cuts.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2021, 09:51 AM   #10
Nicpaus

My customers use a magnifying glass. Cuts must be perfect. I tried a 4 1/2" wet saw. It was much better than a grinder. They are cheap $150 and the clamping straight edge from lowes is $50. I would try that before a grinder.
Unread 11-25-2021, 01:03 PM   #11
Scubadoog

Talking

Thanks for all the feedback folks! Given that I am the customer and bitchin' about the job I do doesn't normally yield positive results, I'll do the grinder route. I've laid this all out with no exposed cut edges, so this should work. I'll post photos when I'm done.
Unread 11-25-2021, 04:39 PM   #12
smifwal

I set up my wet saw for most big jobs and hardly use it. 95% of my cuts are done with a snapper. And I can achieve wet saw quality cuts with a grinder and I have a shop vac that has a HEPA filter on it so I can cut in the room. But when I have to take off just a little bit off the side of the tile, the wet saw is faster. On jobs that I see that I only have a few cuts I can't make with the snapper I don't set up the wet saw, I use the grinder. If I had to choose between buying a wet saw or a snapper I would pick the snapper. Now that being said, a cheap snapper is only going to piss you off and you will think why the hell did I listen to that guy that told me get a snapper instead of a wet saw. But there are some tiles that don't snap real clean but there are others that you will have to mark the edge so that you don't put a cut edge next to a factory edge(For those magnifying glass people) I would recommend a sigma with a klick klock handle. You will be able to sell it for almost what you paid for it, And a good grinder blade(those also aren't created equal)

Your layout is one of those jobs I wouldn't set up the wet saw. You got a few casings to go around and a few rips and if you don't have more tile coming up then I would just do it with a grinder

The snapper in the picture will do a 36" rip
Attached Images

Unread 12-06-2021, 03:34 PM   #13
njtiler83

I'd prefer to use a snap cutter
Unread 12-06-2021, 03:42 PM   #14
cx
Moderator emeritus

How would you do your inside corners, Ray?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2021, 10:55 PM   #15
njtiler83

grinder/sponge and snap cutter

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase