Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-06-2009, 02:20 PM   #1
kas219

SLC in multiple pours

I am getting ready to fill in some low spots on my floor and I need some advice about using self leveling compound. Right now I have cement board over the entire floor and all of the joints taped and filled with thinset. The low spots are in three rooms, no more than 1/2" in depth. I ran the numbers and will need to use about 1 1/2 bags of SLC to complete the job. The main problem I have is that i have to do this job on my own. After reading other peoples advice I realize that I won't be able to do the entire pour in one shot before the SLC starts to set. So my questions are:

Is it acceptable to pour SLC in multiple pours?
How long should I wait in between each pour?
Does the first pour need to be primed before the second pour?

Thank you everyone!
kas219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-06-2009, 03:21 PM   #2
nicktiler

that amount of bags can easily be done in one pour, no problem
nicktiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2009, 03:56 PM   #3
bbcamp

If you must do multiple pours, read and follow the SLC manufacturer's instructions carefully. They give answers to your questions, but in general: Yes you can pour over another pour, the wait time varies by manufacturer and local conditions, and you usually have to prime if the second pour is outside the prescribed time window.

On the other hand, a SLC pour is a perfect opportunity to see how many friends you have, and which ones will swap a little work for a steak and some beer.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2009, 04:14 PM   #4
nicktiler

Is that one and a half bags ?
Are you using a leveller that will accomodate that thickness in one pour ?
Not sure what is available in states, but there are many here that will do 50mm in one pour without the use of chippings !
Good luck
nicktiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2009, 05:06 PM   #5
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

I'd consider something else. It will work, but you know the edges of pancake batter when you pour it in the pan? Slc can have an edge to it unless you get the edges of the floor wet with it - otherwise, surface tension will keep a rounded edge. You do NOT have much time to feather edges.

How big is this area? could you pour enough to get a thin coat over the high spots? This would get all surfaces wet, and it would self-level better. Some slc's are more viscous than others and flow better, too. Since you are going to buy two bags, how much coverage would you get if you used three? Would it cover the whole thing at least 1/8" thick?
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2009, 01:08 PM   #6
kas219

My big concern is getting the 1 1/2 bags of SLC mixed in time it is getting it poured and feathered in the three adjacent rooms before it starts to cure. Unfortunately I have to do this one alone. I will check the directions on the bags tonight about making the multiple pours. If I can I think I will try to fill in the worst spot in the hallway and get it finished. I'll use the rest to finish the smaller low spots in the other two rooms
kas219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2009, 10:01 PM   #7
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

With most of the SLCs, it starts to set in maybe 10-minutes (or even less) after it hits the water to mix it up...you have NO time to do anything much except pour it and, if needed, feather it quickly. It will have an edge, just like water does. Think a water drop on a waxed car...it doesn't sheet, it beads up some. You can get it to spread out by spreading it around, then it will level itself. More like honey than water, but you get my point. Take too much time and it's like a partially frozen puddle...you'll have a major mess.

For what you have, you may be better off just using some thinset and a long straight edge to screed it. Thinset shouldn't be used deeper than about 1/4" or so, but if you need more than that, you can use a medium bed mortar (often called granite and marble mortar) - that can go up to about 1/2" thick. You've got probably 45-minutes to more than an hour to mess with it. Thinset will stick to thinset fine, and you won't need to prime the floor either.

SLC works best for the first time if you can flood the whole room with it. Feathering it takes some practice, and you have no time to do it since it begins setting so quickly. It's not as bad as hydraulic cement, but close, if you've ever used that.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase