Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 05-18-2007, 06:04 PM   #1
masterclean5

Cleaning quote re Slate

Hi Everybody! I’d appreciate your comments re a recent quote I gave in the Lake Elsinore area of Southern California. I’m just beginning to do Natural Stone cleaning. This prospect is my girlfriend’s neighbor. The prospect(Sharla) lives with her sister, both single, nice cars… They have 522SF of mixed slate tiles downstairs. Condo is 1 year old, she has 3 dogs, doesn’t believe any urine issues, etc…I didn’t detect any either. Overall, general dirt from traffic, etc. I quoted $1 SF for cleaning, $1.50 SF for sealer. I was planning on using Miracle Seal 511 since I understand it is a nice color enhancer as well as an impregnator. Total for the job was $1305. Am I too high? Thank you in advance for your responses.
masterclean5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-18-2007, 06:18 PM   #2
Rich Turley

What does 'both single with nice cars' have to do with pricing?

Things your price should be based on: Your particular market, your costs and your overhead (they are different), and the profit you want to make.

Rich
Rich Turley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2007, 07:12 PM   #3
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

Also,you have to find out what the customer is expecting. ie,an enhancement of the stone,a general cleaning of the grout,and a simple sealing,and should you do a small test area to ensure they know what to expect, this is very critical in the resto dept. sometimes customers are expecting something totally different from what you can deliver.As far as pricing,like Rich say, locale will determine this,but i would say you are close.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2007, 04:03 PM   #4
masterclean5

Rich, I was including single and nice car as part of the "particular market", along with Lake Elsinore, condo, etc. vs a family on a lower income. Thanks guys for your input.
masterclean5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2007, 05:07 PM   #5
Rich Turley

Masterclean5,

You're price shouldn't be dictated by the customer income level. I think I know where you're coming from in that you're new to the business and trying to get business. Setting your prices by what you think your customers will pay will backfire in the long run, I garauntee this 95% of the time.

Nothing wrong with having a marketing and pricing plan geared to the lowest price seekers, many companies work on a low margin and make up for it in volume and other shortcuts.

Others seek the high-end where performance and quality are more important than the price.

And there are levels inbetween.

Decide where you want to be, that will determine your profit or margin. Add that to your costs (including your salary) and your overhead for the price.

I learned this lesson the hard way, fortunatley I survived. I don't lower my price based on where a person lives or what they drive or their particular sob story. People will really surprise you sometimes with how much they are willing to pay to have a good quality job done.

Now, if I could only apply that same theory to all friends and family!

Rich
Rich Turley is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase