Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 03-05-2007, 11:06 AM   #1
TerriH

Saltillo Advice

Hi,

I am new to this forum. I have a saltillo tile kitchen floor. It was installed when we built our home 12yrs ago. They used pre-sealed tiles, laid, grouted but didn't seal again. I've not had them stripped or re-sealed since (nor has the grout been sealed. I am having trouble finding anyone who is very knowledgeable about these tiles (Cinti/No KY area) I am going to try to do this myself. I read stripping can be done with amonia/water, should I try this or use a chemical stripper. Then do I seal the grout separately? Any step by step advice would be much appreciated!

Terri
TerriH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-05-2007, 04:47 PM   #2
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

Here's a link to past threads on saltillo you might want to look over...http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...archid=1115115

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2007, 07:54 PM   #3
TerriH

I don't show anything on this link. I'm still going through all of the posts I can find on this site regarding Saltillo Tile. Thanks!
Unread 03-06-2007, 10:59 AM   #4
sgrandjean
Healthcare Consultant and Boxer Rescue Volunteer

Terri,
Click here for a link to one of the posts.

You can also do a forum search for Saltillo tile stripping.

Cheers.
Unread 03-06-2007, 11:18 AM   #5
teeitup
Licensed Tile Sealing Contractor

I would try the most mild methods first. A good start would be Aqua Mix Heavy Duty Tile and Grout Cleaner. In any circumstance complete stripping of a Saltillo Paver is probably not a job for a do it yourselfer. With presealed Pavers sometimes they are easily stripped and sometimes even a professional like myself who has my stripper made specifically for me can have a difficult time removing some of the sealers used on presealed Pavers.

You can always go to more extreme measures but start with the Aqua Mix product I mentioned. It is a good cleaner and can remove a few layers of wax, but will not remove most sealers. If after a TEST in a small area you find this is not doing it well enough you will need a full strip. For that procedure I would call the local tile stores and see if they know of a professional in your area.

Go to my website and read the Mexican Paver page to discover why a machine of any type is not a good idea on Mexican Pavers. I know this will generate some complaints from the machine guys, but in the 25 years we have been specializing in Mexican Paver cleaning and stripping we have done more Pavers than anyone in the business by far, and we have never used any type of machine ever. With a proper hand cleaning or stripping method you can do it better, more quickly, and more safely than with a machine.

Mike
Seal Systems

http://www.tilesealing.com
teeitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2007, 07:54 PM   #6
TerriH

Thank you everyone for your advice. I will post back to let you know if I did it myself or found someone.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase