Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-16-2006, 07:54 AM   #1
mooseburger2nite

subfloor advice

What a great website...someone at Handymanwire pointed me this way. Me? I am a semi-retired guy doing home repairs for fun and mad money...when I'm not moose hunting that is. Here's my current project:

I am working on a 20 year old home in hot & humid NC. 2 main rooms on the main floor over a crawlspace...a previously carpeted sunroom and a ajoining kitchen/half bath that had a bad tile job. The 14ft x 14ft Sunroom: I removed the 3/4" particle board and screwed new 3/4" T&G plywood over the 1/2" OSB into the 2x10's on 16" centers...nice firm floor now...a few waves but way better than it was. Planning on laying 1/4" Hardiboard on top with 1/4" thinset sandwiched between...nailing hardiboard down into the plywood avoiding nailing into the joists. My questions on this room are 1) should I use nails of should I screw, 2) what is the standard for when floor leveling compound is required. The ajoining kitchen has been stripped to the original vinyl flooring...the 1/4" hardibacker was not thinset'ed to the vinyl, just screwed. As it stands now, the top of the old vinyl is the same elevation as the new 3/4" T&G in the sunroom...under the vinyl is a 5/8" 4-ply plywood sitting on the same 1/2" OSB as the sunroom. My questions on this room are 1) can I just screw the 1/4" Hardiboard over the old vinyl without using thinset? No nails, but screws. It appears it worked for 10 years before, and I don't see the thinset adhearing well to the vinyl, and 2) Do I need to install some type of expansion joint between the 2 rooms? What is the general rule on when to use expansion joints?
Wonderful site here...I've bookmarked and I'll be back. Thanks in advance...MB2N
mooseburger2nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-16-2006, 08:59 AM   #2
kevjob
Licensed Remodeling GC

hello and welcome i use screws all the time use mortar under hardy backer on floos always. is the vinyl over luan plywood?
Unread 07-16-2006, 09:24 AM   #3
mooseburger2nite

Hey Kevin,
"Luan" isn't in my vocabulary...let me describe: 5/8" thk, 4-ply, not the cheap stuff...not pine or fir...looks like furniture-grade plywood.
Unread 07-16-2006, 09:41 AM   #4
kevjob
Licensed Remodeling GC

luan is a 1/4 inch underlayment for vinyl floors to cushion it. if the vinyl is going to stay use mortar and you are not trying to adhere to the vinyl more of holding the cbu up to fill in small valleys in the sub floor the screws hold it down and mechanically fasten it to the sub floor use the squre drive scres easier to drive
Unread 07-16-2006, 09:54 AM   #5
mooseburger2nite

It's not 1/4", but it sure looks like what you are talking about.

As the elevation on top of the vinyl is the same as the new 3/4" in the 1st room, I think I'll leave the vinyl in place.

So I use the same type thinset under the backer as under the tile?

1/4" trowl? Sq or V make a diff?

I will use the square drive screws on the whole project as you recommend.\\

Thanks for your advice, MB2N
Unread 07-17-2006, 06:03 AM   #6
bbcamp

Hopefully, the old vinyl is not one of the cushioned varaities. Use a 1/4" square notched trowel to spread the thinset under the backerboard.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase