Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-17-2004, 09:22 PM   #1
cjs

Countertop edge?

I'm about to begin a project to re-tile a bathroom counter top using 6" x 6" porcelain tiles and to finish the edge with V-caps (2" x 6") . I plan to use two pieces of 23/32" exterior grade plywood for the base for the counter top and to install 1/4 inch hardibacker board on top of that. My question is, how should I finish the edge of the countertop ? Do I need to put backerboard on the vertical edge? Or is there some other way to ensure that the thinset will bond to that edge. I have some concern about the thinset bonding to the edge of the plywood.

Chris.
cjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-17-2004, 10:18 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Chris, I mud my c-tops but I would say most guys would nail a narrow piece of backerboard to the edge of the plywood. I normally use silicone on the front edge, two wide beads and thinset on the top.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2004, 11:59 PM   #3
Shaughnn
Trowel Monkey

Don't forget to tape the joint where the horizontal deck meets the front apron.
Shaughnn
Shaughnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2004, 05:56 AM   #4
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

Davy...Silicone???
I know lots of guys do it that way.
I thinset mine and tape em I like full coverage under tham fragile tiles just in case the Husband does duck in time
Unread 11-18-2004, 03:51 PM   #5
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Welcome aboard, Chris.

You're gonna get the boys to arguing.

I know a lot of guys who use caulking on the vertical part of the V-cap. If there's ever any movement the caps won't crack. Of course you don't have to worry about it with a mud job.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2004, 09:38 PM   #6
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I remember a job years ago, all the v-cap cracked along the top edge. I mudded the deck and had metal edging around the countertop. The plywood was cut flush with the cabinet face and the carpenter nailed a 3/4 x 1 1/2 piece of pine on the front to nail the metal to. That pine swelled I guess causing them to crack. I replaced them using thinset on top and silicone on the face, no problems. I have done it this way many times since then without problems. With only plywood back there it might be fine using thinset on the face.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2004, 10:19 PM   #7
Shaughnn
Trowel Monkey

Every setter I know out this way sets V-cap with Mastic to allow a little flexibility and prevent the hip cracking Davy mentions.
Shaughnn
Shaughnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2004, 09:12 AM   #8
cjs

Countertop edge?

Many thanks to all the responses to my question. It seems there are several ways to set V-cap tiles to a countertop edge. Which leads to some more questions for me

I was leaning toward attaching 1/4 inch hardie backerboard to the edge of the plywood base (2 x 3/4 exterior ply) but am a little concerned about screwing or nailing into the edge of the plywood and getiing it firmly attached.

Several other experts said that silicone or mastic was a way to attach the vertical edge of the V-cap and that this would allow some flexibility. Is that silicone the same stuff that I would caulk a bathtub to tile joint or some other specialized material?

And what is "mastic"? Is that something I can pick up at HD? And what brand is preferred?

Thanks again

Chris.
cjs is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase