Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-08-2012, 08:53 PM   #1
58jeff
Extream DYI

Marble / glass tile & versabond

Been lurking in the background for a while now most of the tme you guys answer my questions before I ask them Thank you for being here !!!
I am currently building a " over the top " new Queen Ann victorian All ICF construction, poured concrete floors with radient heat ( 1st & 2nd ) now I am finally working on the master bath did my 1st mud deck in the shower on top of the poured floor sloping 1/4 per foot came out better than I deserve thanks to your advice
Now it is on to the empress green marble floor which will be aprox 2" square with some kind of border ( my wife likes to surprise me )
the walls will be a pink / cream with red veins ( I know but my wife normally has great vision on colors + if moma ain't happy ... )
I plan on using versabond on the Marble with Wedi membrane as my waterproofing over Durarock
Shower size is 5' x 9' 6" with his & hers showerheads
The ceiling will be glass tile & I am not looking foward to that part but that is what she wants & I have given up arguing ( yes dear )

The question is can I use Versabond for the Glass ceiling tiles ? or do we go to a special mortar made for glass tile
we have done some experiments on grout & we would like to tint the White Versabond a light green to get the tile color perfect ( according to her )
Can any of you pros see anything big time wrong ?
If you haven't guessed I am kind of a extreme overkill DIY guy we even did the excavation taking forever but we don't have a morgage either
Unread 05-08-2012, 09:30 PM   #2
Deckert
Remodeling and Tile Contractor

I wouldn't use the versabond for glass on the ceiling. And the plan about tinting the versabond makes me nervous.

Who makes your glass tiles?

Lots of glass tile manufacturers will spell out exactly what they want you to set their tile with...and they aren't always the same recomendation from one maker to the next. They alsohave recommendations for use over membranes, etc. Would not be a bad idea to contact them and tell them where in the home you are using it, what you are going over, and what they recommend for a thinset.
HeenanGC.com
Deckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 09:46 PM   #3
reefone
tile setter

i would use a higher end thinset if you want to try and 1 step the glass. if thats what you are trying to do.
Unread 05-08-2012, 09:48 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Jeff.

What Brannigan said.

1. What size are the glass tiles for the ceiling?

2. Are they transparent/lucent?

3. Were you planning to let this tinted thinset squeeze out as your grout, or........what?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
did my 1st mud deck in the shower on top of the poured floor sloping 1/4 per foot
4. Was there a waterproof pan liner installed in that package somewhere?

I'm a little concerned about your green marble floor. Green marble is usually among the water-sensitive class of stone and it is not recommended they be set with cementitious mortars at all. I don't really know how much trouble you'd have with that 2"x2" size in that stone, having never tried it, but let's wait for some of our more knowledgeable stoners to weigh in here.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 04:36 AM   #5
58jeff
Extream DYI

I knew I left out stuff

I will use a wedi membrane on top of the mud deck, walls & ceiling
Yes the glass tiles are translucent but no on the 1 step it does make a slight difference on the background color 1" square on a mat they were a " look what I brought home honey "
she has volunteered do the grouting & it will be an epoxy type she has used it before with good results in an earlier 1/2 bath
Marble was not my choice & she wants to cut the green for the floor 12" squares down to 2" ( aprox ) this should stop any potato chiping & the epoxy grout should keep the edges sealed
This whole house has been this way me wanting to go somewhat conventional but overkill & her making everything almost impossible & then I have to figure out how to do it
I am not a builder or play one on TV
& right now my goal in life is to
not learn 1 more trade !
Unread 05-09-2012, 06:42 AM   #6
RedRock
Granite, Quartz, and Tile Installer

Jeff,
I tinted some epoxy grout with UTC colors to match a grout color that was not available anymore. I'm not sure if that was the "right" way to create a color, but it seemed reasonable at the time. Once it was cured, it didn't show any signs of leaching out the color. If there has been any problems since, I haven't heard about it.

Sounds like your DIY tile experience has taken a life of it's own. Be careful, you might like it and find yourself the family expert.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Unread 05-10-2012, 04:34 AM   #7
58jeff
Extream DYI

a life of it's own

this house has become my life 6 years & running & by the time i'm done there will be close to 3000 SF of marble / stone / tile layed
The glass tile Mfg says " any fortified thinset " can be used I am assuming that there will be an extended cure time due to the glass & membrane I'll just move on to the 2000 other things I have to complete
I started laying a Glass block wall yesterday in the entry to the shower & as soon as that is done I can start laying the membrane. it is really starting to look like a real shower & as long as she doesn't throw any more changes at me in a few weeks I can finially move on to the kitchen
Oops we got the price back from the plasterer looks like I get to learn how to do that along with plaster crown in the turret
How fun for me !

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase