Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 09-24-2007, 09:08 AM   #1
u101573

New saltillo tile pool patio whitish splash marks

Hi, we have recently had a pool installed in the Caribbean with saltillo tiles for the paved area around the pool and when we last visited after some remedial work had been done we noticed a number of areas which were covered in whitish swirl marks and/or splash marks. We tried just putting plain water on them and seeing if it was something on the surface which could be scrubbed off but to no avail. We had previously advised the contractors that they needed to remove some small white paint marks in a number of areas and they said they would get rid of them. We know that they have been using muriatic acid as some has been left on site plus we have seen them using something which we now assume was muriatic acid which caused steam to rise from the surface of the tiles (they said they were doing an acid wash). We have asked the contractors back again to remedy the situation but could the surface of the tiles be irreparably damaged if they have not used muriatic acid correctly? Any help or advice would be much appreciated. I have attached two photos to maybe help identify the problem. Many thanks. Cheers. Mike
Attached Images

u101573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-24-2007, 09:28 AM   #2
Mike2

Mike, I'm going to move this over to our Cleaning and Restoration section. I think you'll get better coverage of your situation over there.
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2007, 10:53 AM   #3
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

Well, hard to tell but, if they did attempted to clean paint off they probably couldn't get it all out and that's what you were left with, then they thought they could acid wash it off, but that won't work.I doubt the acidwash hurt the tile much.If the saltillo hasn't been sealed it may be almost impossible to get all the paint out, but first you need to know if it's oil or water based paint, then get the appropriate paint remover.Although there are removers now that will work on both.You can follow the diresctions, and use a scrubby pad to se if you can clean one tile, as a test.I'm telling you this because you will probably have to explain it to your tile guys who obviously don't know how to take care of the problem.I don't think this is a sealer problem myself, but a water based sealer that is breaking down, or oversealed,or an effloresence problem would look very similar.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2007, 11:42 AM   #4
u101573

Hi, Many thanks for the quick response. I know for sure that the tiles have not been sealed (another story) and the paint they were using was an oil based one so it looks as if we may have a problem getthing it off. Any idea as to how we would get the whitish swirl and splash marks off the tiles or are you saying that you think those largish marks may be the residue from the 'paint clean up' ? Cheers. Mike
u101573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2007, 05:15 PM   #5
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

I believe it's paint.I would try the paint remover and see, but since the acid wash didn't remove it i can't think it would be anything else.I would seal it as soon as it's cleaned.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase