Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-27-2022, 12:36 PM   #1
steve 49

Big Thanks / Shower door

First, I would like to thank everyone on this site for their wealth of knowledge and opinions. I recently completed a basement bathroom remodel and could not have done it without this site. It took almost two years of working in that bathroom nights and weekends, and around college kids returning home due to covid situation. I learned a lot...

One last thing- Once shower tile was complete I looked into installing a frameless shower door in a 28" x 76" opening. Did some shopping and couldn't find anything reasonable to me for a basement bathroom so I slapped a curtain on and called it a day. My resourceful wife came across a free shower door that is 28" x 70". I did a little digging and it sounds like there is no way to "sand down" or "shave" tempered glass.

Anyone have any brilliant ideas how to make this work? If not my curtain will probably have to do....
Unread 04-27-2022, 05:52 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I've never heard of altering the size of tempered glass. I've been told it will shatter so I've never tried it.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2022, 06:23 PM   #3
wiz02

I am pretty sure that @Davy has the right answer, but you could check with a glass / glazing shop or an automotive glass shop that does custom glass work.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Unread 04-28-2022, 08:36 AM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy
I've been told it will shatter so I've never tried it.
It will. I have.

Glass shower enclosures are high-cost items. And unfortunately there is no DIY work-around. You just gotta bite that bullet if you want custom sized glass for your shower.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2022, 09:34 AM   #5
steve 49

I figured as much, thanks. Davy & CX, neither of you will fully understand how much you helped me in my project. You will always be legends in my mind!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase