Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-30-2013, 02:13 AM   #1
rudyo

Need help identifying SS grab Bar

I need to install some stainless steel grab bars in a shower that I am finishing and I haven't been very happy with any of the grab bars I am finding, either in stores or online.

One of my pet peeves with grab bars is that it always seems like the flange covers (escutcheons) are loose and banging around. Most grab bars use a snap on escutcheon or flange (which i find flimsy and cheap) or an escutcheon that has little tabs that engage the plate with a slight turn. The tabbed flanges are slightly better than the snap on style, but still easy to come loose and rattle around.

A while back I encountered a very cool SS grab bar design where the covers for the mount plate were threaded. The one I saw had a pretty coarse thread on the mounting plate and a nice thick flange that screwed onto it after attaching it to the wall. The great thing about it is that the flange stayed put! Also you could really tighten it down so it was snug. I imagine you could put some silicone sealer on the threads before engaging the flange to act as sort of a thread lock.

The one I saw was an 1 1/4" stainless steel bar, but 1 1/2" would also work. It looked a bit more refined than your normal SS grab bar. I looked at it very close and I didn't see any name or markings as far as model number or who manufactured it.

I have posted some pictures of it assembled and apart. Can anyone identify this? I have searched and searched and can;t find who makes these!

Other than this bar, does anyone have a favorite grab bar model or manufacturer?

Many thanks!
Attached Images

Unread 09-30-2013, 02:26 AM   #2
rudyo

Frameless Shower Door?

I am also looking for some options on a frameless shower door for a DIYer. I am replacing a door on a new shower for a family member that has only budgeted an inexpensive framed shower door. The design and tile work really lend themselves to a frameless clear door that will showcase the great design, but their budget will not support the typical pricing i have seen for a glass company to install one.

It seems like someone here on the forum posted some links or places where I could just buy the 3/8 tempered polished glass at a much lower cost than the complete system. I am comfortable measuring and installing it and I do have a source for the hinges and handle.

Any ideas?
Unread 09-30-2013, 06:11 AM   #3
PC7060
...unrepentant, detail focused, over-analyzer.

Dan, welcome to the forum.

I've used Moen grab bars and really like the polished stainless steel bars.

The link to the Moen grab bar site is:http://m.moen.com/bathroom/safety/gr...-redirect=true

I used a Moen LR2356DCH Home Care 16-Inch Grab Bar with Shelf in my bathroom renovation and found it to be well built.
PC7060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 06:24 AM   #4
PC7060
...unrepentant, detail focused, over-analyzer.

Dan, Re the glass question, this post from Dan/ss3964spd may be helpful.
PC7060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 07:26 AM   #5
MDtile

The "commercial style" don't have any escussion at all, just a flat plate with exposed Phillip heads in matching finish. They go great with the 1/2" frameless glass hinges with matching exposed screws.
MDtile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 03:49 PM   #6
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

I've put in a few of the Wingits bars (and used their mounting anchors - great if you don't have blocking in the right places). www.wingits.com Their covers do snap on, but on the three I've installed, they were not easy to snap on (ended up using a mallet), and do not move around. All three were SS construction.

I have some from Ginger (no, not Grainger!) but they are just a friction fit...some silicon anchors them nicely from their back.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 04:26 PM   #7
zeaflal

I put in a Moen Kingsley grab bar http://www.moen.com/kingsley/brushed...MER%3AYG5418BN and really like it. The best part is that it does not look like a grab bar. Only a little more expensive than the matching towel bar. I think it looks better than the "real" towel bars.
Unread 09-30-2013, 05:34 PM   #8
RipRap

Dan, have you checked your local glass suppliers? It may vary by region, but around here, the cost of the glass is much less than any of the online places, especially when factoring in the hundreds of dollars of freight- you can buy just the glass, after all, they make replacents for broken panels.

Another online one is - eshowerdoor.com
Unread 10-01-2013, 10:10 AM   #9
Maniac979

Dan,
I think it is highly unlikely you'll be able to find a grab bar constructed like the one shown in you image.
In the good ole days that was how the better quality grab bars were made.
At some point the manufacturers started using a set screw to secure the escutcheon.
Now, some type of friction connection or clip is used for attachment.
If you are interested in a good commercial grab bar with an escutcheon to cover the attachment screws, you should check out Bobrick.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase