Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-23-2022, 02:45 PM   #1
Golfgirl

Penny decorative border on backsplash

Hi tile DIY'ers and experts.
This isn't my 1st tile job, but a first for using penny tiles.
Beside field tile on the kitchen backsplash, I'm using marble pencil as a top & bottom for my penny tile. The pencil will run the entire length (12'), resting on top and bottom of my 3 outlet covers. The penny will therefore go in the middle and butt up against the outlet cover sides.
Here's my question. Can I leave a 1/4" above/below full pennies for grout, or should I cut each penny (top & bottom) by 1/4" to lay flat against the pencil.
I've never cut penny before, but dread cutting just 1/4" off the top and bottom without chipping. I do have a diamond blade on my wet saw.

Thanks for your advice.
Attached Images

Golfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-23-2022, 05:18 PM   #2
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

It certainly can be cut as you said, but the cuts might be a bit irregular depending on your saw and blade. You can put them in as pictured, but use a sanded grout such as Home Depot's "Prism" grout for this install.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2022, 08:37 AM   #3
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

One thing to check on this is how level your outlets are to one another. They may seem like they are the same distance off the countertops until you try to run a liner exactly above and below each outlet.

For the penny's, I think 1/4 inch is too much. Here's an idea:

Why not move the liners wider to fit full penny tile in between. Then run the penny tiles behind the outlet cover. Then just install the outlet covers over the top of the pennys?
Unread 05-24-2022, 10:05 AM   #4
Golfgirl

Thanks...I'll try a test run. My OCD is kicking in. Lasered the crap out of my walls/outlets, etc. Will post a picture when I'm done. If you have a preference, would you put in similar color outlets/covers to correspond to the lighter color pennys?
Golfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2022, 06:05 AM   #5
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
I would, GG, I usually want the receptacles/switches/covers to disappear as much as possible. Just my preference though.

In case you haven't found it yet, Lutron offers receptacles/switches/covers in a wide assortment of colors and finishes. www.lutron.com
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase