Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 02-03-2021, 09:34 AM   #1
jeffnc

"Mastic" with marble tile backsplash

I don't really like the term "mastic" nowadays since it's all really latex or something now, but anyway I'm wondering about using a white latex premix adhesive with marble.

For example, my supplier has switched from Mapei to Laticrete, and I'm looking at their 15 Premium Mastic, which is a "a white, ready to use latex adhesive".

Now in one place it says "designed for interior installations of ceramic tile and natural stone". In another it says "designed for the installation of ceramic tile".

Obviously I can contact them, but my question is, have you guys actually noticed a problem with white latex changing or staining regular marble such as carrara? I've done little tests with white thinset, gray thinset, and white latex adhesive and never seen any bleeding, staining, or anything like that. It can take awhile to dry thoroughly, but that is a different issue.

https://cdn.laticrete.com/~/media/pr...ts/ds-286.ashx
Unread 02-03-2021, 09:50 AM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Jeff,

I've never used anything but thinset on marble tiles. Why would you want to go with a mastic?
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2021, 09:56 AM   #3
jeffnc

For the obvious reasons - no mixing, little mess to cleanup, no dust, better hold on the wall while installing (no sag), the ability to do a lot or a little without cleaning up or remixing in between, no material waste.
Unread 02-03-2021, 10:15 AM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Well, Jeff, if you don't like the term mastic, you could call it by it's proper name under A136.1, which is Organic Adhesive. And the TDS for that product you linked seems to indicate it is a Type I A136.1 material.

And as such it would be suitable for interior use only according to ceramic tile industry standards. And all testing would have been conducted using ceramic tile, including the test for staining.

I thought the TCNA handbook has a caution about staining some natural stones, but in a quick look just now I couldn't find it.

So, as is so often the recommendation, the best thing for you to do would be to test the material on some of your particular stones.

I have personally never tried to set a natural stone tile of any kind using an organic adhesive and don't really have any idea how prevalent the staining might be. Again, test it on your stones and use it if you like it.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2021, 10:29 AM   #5
jeffnc

Well maybe I'm mistaken but I thought that was the whole point - mastic was originally the organic resin obtained from the mastic tree or Pistacia lentiscus shrub. My understanding was that newer concoctions are synthetic latex. I guess that doesn't necessarily make them "inorganic". I thought the term "mastic" nowadays was basically a misnomer just left over from old habit.

One I often use is AcrylPro, which states "Proprietary blend of acrylic copolymers, calcium carbonate and inorganic materials".
Unread 02-03-2021, 10:33 AM   #6
cx
Moderator emeritus

Hell, call it whatever you like, Jeff! I prefer pookey, but I use that for lots of different kinds of pookey.

But if it says on the label that it meets the requirements of ANSI A136.1 it's an Organic Adhesive. 'Least 'till somebody gets it up for a vote on a name change.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2021, 10:46 AM   #7
Tile & Stone Guild
King Of Tile

I’ve done some tumbled travertine splashes without a problem. I’ve seen some installs with Thassos and Carrera have bleed issues. I’d say it’s a roll of the dice.
Unread 02-03-2021, 10:52 AM   #8
jeffnc

What is it exactly you see bleeding through? The marble gets more white in spots?
Unread 02-03-2021, 04:26 PM   #9
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

The bleeding I've seen is from the oils in the mastic soaking thru the stone to the front side. The stone usually turns darker in those areas.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2021, 06:26 PM   #10
jeffnc

Oh OK, well that's not really worth the risk I guess.
Unread 02-04-2021, 12:28 AM   #11
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

I've seen darker stain like Davy said. But that was back in the late 90's early 00's with Tec Double Duty.

Since we switched away from mastic all those years ago, Tec's come out with a Tec Double Duty Plus mastic specifically meant to include marble. I've got a friend who used to use this stuff regularly with marble and was happy with it. Although we haven't talked about this in close to 10 years.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2021, 01:41 AM   #12
jeffnc

Well there ya go, I like it.
Unread 02-04-2021, 06:39 AM   #13
Tile & Stone Guild
King Of Tile

Their product sheet says to test by spreading mastic on a piece and allow to dry fo 3 to 4 weeks to be sure it cures out. If you do decide to move forward I wouldn’t grout until it’s dries out.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase