Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-17-2023, 08:40 AM   #46
cx
Moderator emeritus

I thought you guys were talking about "sealing" the door to the opening, not painting it.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2023, 09:20 AM   #47
Eman85

OK, that makes sense about sealing/painting all sides and edges of the door. Yes it has a thin and cheap of primer as possible.
Unread 05-17-2023, 05:37 PM   #48
bottlefed

Hello Eman,

Was going to ask if your screen name was a reference to E85.

Yes been on YB since its inception first as Bottlefed then as bottlefed1 after the site messed up my password.

Funny I actually picked up my Monte in Paris TN back around 2002. Had a great time with it running OPS every Friday night at our local track 75&80 where I actually finished ahead in points of the Camaro owned by Mobley and driven by Ulsch.....Good times

Yes I was talking about sealing all sides of the door itself. A small bathroom its really important as when someone takes a long steamy shower and turns off the exhaust fan when done the moisture tends to be absorbed by the base of the door leading to warpage.
Unread 05-17-2023, 08:52 PM   #49
Eman85

Bottlefed, I use the same name on YB, you replied to my thread on stringtrimmers. Small World!
Went back to Lowes and swapped the mortar and the grout and picked up some spacers.
Unread 05-18-2023, 12:16 PM   #50
bottlefed

Probably talk to you more over there. Best wishes on the tile job.
Unread 05-30-2023, 11:37 AM   #51
Eman85

OK, no chance of going into the tile business! Tile is down and I used up all of my finesse. Still had to clean out some joints and with these small hex tiles there are a lot of joints. The back of my thighs are angry with me.
Now on to the next problems. I purchased Mapei Ultracolor FA and did a little research and saw where people had problems with it setting fast on them. I wanted to test it so I made a small batch and grouted some of the spare tiles. Color wasn't to our liking but that's not a problem. Problem turns out these tiles are porous so after grouting and wiping they still retain a haze. I did do a small section under the vanity and I would like to clean the haze, any suggestions? Mapei recommended Ultracare HD stone and grout cleaner.
They also said I should seal the tiles first with a penetrating solvent sealer. Need some advice.
Unread 05-30-2023, 02:58 PM   #52
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Are the tile porous, or just have a slightly rough surface?

If they are porous, sealing them may help make the cleanup easier. A grout release precoat may help.

What are you using for your major cleanup? A quality sponge maybe followed up by a microfiber cloth may help...Changing the rinse water can be important, and basically, rinsing after you've used both sides of the sponge to prevent spreading residual grout back onto the tile...you can't rinse your sponge too often!
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2023, 08:56 PM   #53
Eman85

Good sponges, 2 buckets of water and microfiber towels for cleanup.
Stopped at Lowes and HD today and picked up Miracle Grout Release which I'm told will solve my problem with the porosity and help cleanup. Also picked up some Miracle 511 Impregnator sealer for the final sealing. For the spot I wanted to try cleaning I picked up Aqua Mix Cement Grout Haze Remover,
Open for suggestions. We picked up another color grout and I'm going to doa test square with the extra tiles I have.
Unread 06-02-2023, 09:27 PM   #54
Eman85

I made sample boards for grout color comparison. I've got mixing Ultracolor FA down to a science in small batches. We're satisfied on color with pearl gray and did testing with pre-sealing for grout release. Used the Miracle 511 solvent based sealer on the tile and then grouted the tile the next day. Grout went down well and cleaned up just fine, buffed with a microfiber towel. We'll seal it completely in a few days.
Thanks everyone for the help. This has been a learning experience.
Unread 06-07-2023, 03:59 PM   #55
Eman85

Any suggestions on type and brand of caulk? I need to caulk at tub and door jambs.
Unread 06-09-2023, 09:52 AM   #56
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

If you used Ultracolor FA why not use Mapesil in a matching color?
Unread 06-10-2023, 09:06 AM   #57
Eman85

Honestly didn't know it existed, I'll look for it next trip to the store. I was looking at Loctite Polyseamseal as it's for baths.
Unread 06-10-2023, 09:14 AM   #58
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Floor and Decor, if you have one nearby, carries Mapei products including their 100% silicone caulk in all the colors.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2023, 12:29 PM   #59
Eman85

Floor and decor is about 2 hrs away, not a standard trip to the store for me. I see Lowes has it, I'll take a look next time only 30 miles to Lowes.
Unread 06-10-2023, 12:38 PM   #60
cx
Moderator emeritus

ColorRite will make you 100 percent silicone in colors to match any grout and in satin or sanded finish, Emil.

Shipping has always been overpriced in my experience, but still far less expensive than a trip to Lowe's. And perhaps they've changed their shipping costs as it's been years since I've bought from them.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase