Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 05-29-2023, 08:18 AM   #1
Supergirl
See one, do one, teach one

Water clinging to porcelain tiles

So, new shower done and great. Tiles are a 6x24 wook look porcelain tile. Grout is spectralock 1.
We have started using the shower, and I have noticed that the tiles seem to have water clinging to them… for quite a while. Ventilation is reasonable.
I would rather not spray chemicals daily, but DIY daily sprays also seem to lack what I suspect I need- a surfactant. But I really don’t plan on scrubbing the shower regularly, ordinary cleaning should be sufficient if the surface would behave.
Is there something I am missing, forgetting or can add on the surface to help the water sheet off better?
Rainx seems to gum up after a while on a car window, and also meant for glass.
I found two items- Sal Suds by Dr Bronners which coukd be used in a daily DIY spray, Method Daily shower clean. DIY recipes rely on alcohol, which sure, that will help the water get displaced and evaporate.

Any thought or advice appreciated.
Unread 05-29-2023, 09:10 AM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Sarah. I don't do it myself but some folks dry off their shower walls and floor with a towel after every use. From what I hear it'll stay looking new for a long time. I'd make sure and keep the shower door open after each use and have a small fan running for a while, it'll dry it out fairly fast. I installed a small ceiling fan in my bathroom that works well.

I don't know of any sprays that can be used but maybe someone else does.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2023, 10:47 PM   #3
makethatkerdistick

Large format tiles will hold more water on top. Just a function of size, mostly. I use a squeegee to move the residual water towards the drain. Takes less than 30 seconds.
Unread 06-10-2023, 08:53 AM   #4
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Late to the party here, Sarah, but the top of my shower bench and pony wall are both properly sloped towards the drain yet water still clings to both. Water also clings to the porcelain tiled walls and the glass.

I squeegee mine after each use, including the floor. I also let the exhaust fan run for an hour. I have no door. No mold/mildew issues.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2023, 11:44 PM   #5
Jim Farrell Tiler
dont blame me i didnt vote for him

leave the door open and air movement will dry it
Unread 07-03-2023, 09:20 AM   #6
Supergirl
See one, do one, teach one

Ok, thank you for your thoughts.
I did buy Clean Shower, in favor of sealant or DIY product as the DIY had hydrogen peroxide and needed to be kept in the dark, and likely would expire long before I used it up etc etc.

I have noted it has greatly *helped* the tile shed water but dry faster (quite a lot actually).

The bathroom is in a very northern and cold climate and currently the vent goes into the crawl space (bad bad bad I beg hubby to not turn it on)) and we did not put a hole through the side of the house when finishing this space, I have mixed feelings about this and the winter climate.

I did try a squeegee, the water ended up kinda getting stuck in the horizontal grout lines then dripping down, that I didn’t think would work well in the long term. I use a squeegee in my main home and it’s great. I agree this was my first choice.

I also tried a cloth wipe down. This did help quite a bit, but the water dampness did still seem to remain on the tile just in a smaller film. This is a compromise. This may end up winning.

Ventilation is not awesome, so even in the -5°F we will open the window when we shower to help with the moisture and leave it open for 15 mins. It does help a lot too. No fan though at this time. TBD what we do long term. These things get delayed when hubby and I disagree on a solution. He sees the tree I see the forest…

I used the commercial product, which I am not a huge fan of due to our septic (delicate) and the nature environment this is just less desirable. It was very helpful though which leads me to…

I just had to reseal my stone trim at home with 511, so I may try one of the tiles here and see if this helps.

These were not expensive “floor” style wood look planks mounted in the tub surround. They are not smoothly slick. There is palpable texture. I think this adds to the issue. I do not need to seal the grout (so many reasons of course but also I used that expensive pre mix one and therefore I have good confidence in it).

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase