Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 03-23-2010, 02:30 PM   #1
emandem

pre-seal marble?

Hello, I am hoping you can answer my question! We are in the midst of building a shower (durock/redgard/ and then 12x12 white marble tile to be installed with flexbond) and i have just read that we need to seal the marble tiles before they are installed. Is that true? Is it possible to seal afterwards? If afterwards, before or after grouting? What product would you suggest using?

also, how long after thinset/install and grouting/sealing does the shower cure... when can it be used?

thank you!
Unread 03-23-2010, 02:51 PM   #2
jondon
Hershey Pennsylvania Tile Contractor

Send a message via AIM to jondon
hello em,

Your white marble, is it honed(matte finish) or polished. Normally if marble is polished, sealing it isn't gonna do much. Also be careful and try to keep the thinset off the face of the marble while your installing it, seems trivial but lighter marble can etch very easily, you'll know if it etches cause you won't be able to get it off. So you'll get some more good advice. After your shower is tiled and grouted and grout is sealed your ready to use it.

Jon Donmoyer

JD Tile

CTEF Certified Installer #825

Custom Tile Installation in Hershey & surrounding areas

Serving Dauphin, Lebanon, Berks, Chester, & Montgomery Counties PA
jondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2010, 05:07 PM   #3
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

What Jon said,plus,be aware a marble job over Redgard could take weeks to dry out enough to see if it's gonna get gray,which is happening a lot lately from moisture and iron oxide in the stone.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2010, 06:09 PM   #4
emandem

great-- thank you! davestone: grey because the redgard shows through? that would be a shame! although the redgard is so gorgeous on the wall i'm almost sorry we ditched the venetian plaster idea we harbored for several days.
one more question (two, actually): we have a 1/4" and a 1/2" trowel--- which do we use? and how thick should the thin-set be?
thanks for all the help, we have been flying by the seats of our collective pants and theyre getting kind of frayed...
Unread 03-23-2010, 06:22 PM   #5
emandem

oops,
and, now that i am looking, we bought a penetrating sealer for grout and tile made by Tilelab. it says its for grout, unglazed tile, brick and concrete. I am guessing that this isnt what we should use for marble... do we use a different sealer for the marble than for the grout?
Unread 03-23-2010, 06:47 PM   #6
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

I would use at least the 1/4",i like the 3/8"it puts more thinet on and gives you room to plumb the stone as you go.

The graying is from iron oxide.You need at least 3 days after grouting before you can seal,i say at least cause like i say the redgard may harbor moisture.

Tilelab is about bottom of the line for impregnating sealers, i have used it and used numerous coats and still didn't have a decent seal.Try a better nore expensive brand such as Miracle or Dupont, and yes you can use it for stone and grout unless it says no.

Last edited by Davestone; 03-23-2010 at 06:58 PM.
Unread 03-23-2010, 06:55 PM   #7
emandem

this is a ridiculous question but did you mean Miracle (not miracke)? That i think i can find at HDepot...
Unread 03-23-2010, 06:57 PM   #8
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

Yes,i'm on a laptop on the bed and i can't get a thing done.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase