Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-25-2008, 04:57 PM   #1
mikef

please help... problems with dry pack

Hello everyone. I have attempted my first dry pack mortar bed with horrible results. I have read JB's Tile Your World and his Kerdi book and decided to give it a shot. I made two seperate batches using sand topping mix and extra sand per the recommendations here. I will say that I eyeballed the amount of sand shooting for a 2:1 ratio of sand topping mix to sand. Everything seemed to go OK until I went into the bathroom the next morning. The first batch was hard but as I swept it with a hand broom it kept eroding away leaving divets in the floor. It had a lot of dry particles on top that hadn't been embedded. The second batch was a lot lighter in color (maybe too much sand) and wasn't hard at all. I could literally push my fingers right into it and my shoes left imprints as I walked on it. I have pulled it all up and am ready to start over but I was looking for some information on what went wrong. The only thing I can think of is that I used too little water but I tried to follow John's directions on only adding enough water so that it holds together when clumped in the hand. Anyone have any suggestions?

TIA - Mike
mikef is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-25-2008, 05:06 PM   #2
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

it isn't a wear surface so sweeping or scratching the top will result in some loose sand. if you didn't pack it good and smooth it out with a flat trowel and left it rough it would be easier to disturb the surface.

Quote:
The second batch was a lot lighter in color (maybe too much sand) and wasn't hard at all. I could literally push my fingers right into it and my shoes left imprints as I walked on it.
how long did you let it dry ?
sounds like you didn't pack it good again.

Tampa Florida Tile Installation
^^Check out our Blog^^
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2008, 06:35 PM   #3
Tile Bob 82

Why take a chance on mix your own, buy a pre-mixed mud like laticrete 209 or 226. Just mix it the same with water or get the latex add mix and you will never have those problems.

Best
Tile Bob 82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2008, 03:57 PM   #4
mikef

Guys - thanks for the replies. Assuming my problem is that I wasn't packing it good enough, can you tell me how it's supposed to be done? I basically packed it into place with a combination of a steel trowel and a float smacking it down as I built the slope.

Thanks - Mike
mikef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2008, 04:03 PM   #5
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

that should have been good enough.
you might just need to vacuum up some of the loose stuff and skim some thinset over the top to hold it in place.

can you post a picture ?

I reality your supposed to mud the floor, then once dry tile the surface.

Tampa Florida Tile Installation
^^Check out our Blog^^
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2008, 06:12 PM   #6
tilelayer
South East PA Tile Contractor

i never used the sand topping mix from hd so i know nothing about it but i prefer to use type 1 cement from a local masonry shop comes in a 94 lb bag and i then get the sand in bags usually a shower takes 3 bags of sand and half that 94 lb bag of cement. And i mix it thouroughly, I bet you didnt add enough water to your mix.

***New Here?? Click here to add your name to your signature***

Check out my Blog and see my latest tiling projects!

Specializing in Kerdi Showers
tilelayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2008, 06:41 PM   #7
butterblood
Registered Loser

I use the laticrete 209 all the time. I love that stuff.

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome."
Booker T. Washington
butterblood is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase