Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-15-2006, 02:18 PM   #1
jonholzer

dry pack shower floor w/ backer board walls

I plan on doing a mudset shower floor and plan to use 1/2" backerboards to do the walls. Got most of the materials then had several emergencies to deal with during which time the company I was dealing with closed and left town.

The information I got from them seems to be similar to info I got from John B.
but several questions Ineed answered have come up, like cure time for the mortar (slope layer) before installing the liner. Also gap between the liner and the backer boards on the wall. John also says to add lime to the top layer and I assume to pound the tile into the top layer, skipping the thinset.
I had planned Custom Products redgard then thinset then the tile.

The previous owher had a shower in the same location- installed in 1994- and the ceiling is drywall (don't know if greenboard) and it is fine, but I would like to add an additional coat of redgard to give a better vapor barrier. The ceiling is dry in the crawl space above the shower and the paint is intact with no pealing or bubbles. Do I need to redgard it?

any thoughts are welcome

Jon Holzer

Last edited by jonholzer; 11-15-2006 at 04:39 PM.
jonholzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-15-2006, 05:06 PM   #2
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

24 hours for cure time.I think you're making this hard on yourself, why bot just float your flor and use thinset next day?But if you wanna mudset there's a couple ways of doin it, you can use the lime..or portland,soak ceramic, but this mudset way isn't good for porcelains, unless you're real careful.You can also skim a thin coat of wet slurry thinset over the plastic mudbed and beat them in a little.I don't know what you mean by gap between pan and cbu.I wouldn't worry about redgard on the ceiling.Looks like you have a duplicate thread, i'll delete the other.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2006, 02:39 AM   #3
jonholzer

float v mudset

Davestone

I'm not sure how to followup on your post, thanks for deleting the dup.

I assume a float would be a wetter mix? gap- I've read else where to allow a ~1/4 in gap between the liner and the bottom of the backer board, I think to keep the weight of the backer bd off the liner.

Jon
jonholzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase