Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-21-2022, 02:05 PM   #1
john619

Schluter Stair Profile Question

I am working on a California exterior stair retrofit project. We are removing slab and creating an additional step to get us down to the drive aisle elevation for a drop off.

The existing steps have no VI stripping so we intend to add that to all of the stairs including the new one. We have selected the Schluter retrofit stair nosing profile TREP-EK. The jurisdiction is requiring that this profile be relieved into the existing tile to create a flush condition with no elevation change on the stair tread. I contacted technical assistance at Schluter and asked if they have ever heard of this as that is not how the nosing is shown installed. It is shown on top of the existing tile, no reveal cut into it to allow a flush condition.

Schluter has chosen to ignore my question several times and has not responded regarding the code compliance of this profile.
Unread 09-21-2022, 02:31 PM   #2
Tile & Stone Guild
King Of Tile

The Trep E is set up, for that unless I'm misunderstanding what you want to do. How many steps do you have, that's going to be a PIA to retrofit.
Attached Images

Unread 09-21-2022, 07:31 PM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

I've separated your thread form Dan Marvin's introductory thread, John. I'm sure he'll find it here.

A photo or two of what your stairs currently look like would almost certainly help, along with a clear description of the construction materials. I've never seen the EK version.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2022, 08:49 PM   #4
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

John, like you said, the Trep-EK (scroll past the Trep-E until you get to the Trep-EK is meant to overlay the tile. It matters not what Schluter says. Whatever the jurisdiction requires, they require. Nothing Schluter can say that will change that. If you still want to use the EK, you’d need to cut into the tile to make it flush. I agree with Jeff that it would be a PITA.

I’m assuming you really want to use the Trep-EK because it would be much easier than redoing the existing tile to use the Trep-E?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2022, 12:05 PM   #5
Dan Marvin
Company Rep

Hi John, I sent you a private message with a couple of questions so I can get you connected with your local sales person. The TREP-EK is designed for retrofits but there isn't an easy way to make it flush if that's what the code requires. Likewise, the TREP-EFK requires a channel in the tread to be installed flush. The TREP-E would work for a new install but it has to be bonded in the mortar under the tile which isn't possible with an existing installation. I'm hoping that your local rep will understand the nuances of the code there and be able to steer you to the right solution.
Unread 09-23-2022, 07:22 AM   #6
CaliGrown

I’d wager that a few flush cut blades would do ya good and set it up to use the TREP-E. Cut back the existing for the width of the profile, grind down and then undercut the existing tile. Fill the void under the tile with loose thinset mortar or construction adhesive, thinset under the rest of the profile.
I could be missing something, pics would give us better insight
CaliGrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2022, 02:04 PM   #7
Tile & Stone Guild
King Of Tile

I’ve had the pleasure of having to do that with a 175 edge that a mason dropped a stone from 2nd floor onto the step. Had to cut the 20 lft of schluter edge out and redo as Chris suggested. Only lost 1 tread thankfully.
Unread 10-05-2022, 12:51 PM   #8
john619

As an update. Upon further research, thankfully we decided to rework all of the steps and risers with new tile and a new Schluter nosing profile. Turns out the original TREP-E and or EK that was approved for permit would not have complied with accessibility codes. The VI stripe needs to be at least 2" in width. Very few of the Schluter nosings provide that. We are going with the TREP-G. We will be looking at the manufacturer's literature more closely to ensure accessibility compliance.
Unread 10-06-2022, 12:35 PM   #9
Dan Marvin
Company Rep

John, I ran your comments by Mary Yocum who covers California for us and she sent me some of the back and forth on it so I can understand the issue better. She did forward me information from the California Disabled Accessibility Handbook that shows me the 2"-4" strip requirement. It sounds like they're already aware of the challenge and are working on some additional solutions. Thanks for mentioning it and let Mary or Eddie know if you need more information.

Thanks!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase