Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-30-2012, 01:03 PM   #1
meganjo

Megan's Master Suite Remodel (Layout help)

I need some help with layout. I have Master bathroom that is 10x13 with a walk in closet. There is a large notch out of it for the kid's bathtub. The first pic is what it is currently. The second pic is what I'd like to do with it. I hate my shower in the little inset. It is very dark and cramped.

The biggest problem with the layout I'd like to do is that the plumbing access to the kid's bathtub is now going to be in my shower. Any new ideas? Is it not that concerning?
Attached Images

Unread 04-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Megan,

Plumbing access? You mean to hot and cold water? It won't matter.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
meganjo

Sorry to repeat...so I can tile over that access panel, therefore closing in the hot and cold plumbing to the kid's shower.?

Form the reading on this forum, most of you think that access panels for regular plumbing is not necessary? It's only necessary for motors on jet tubs and the like?
Unread 04-30-2012, 08:47 PM   #4
presidentsdad
Avid DIYer, always looking for a better way

Yes....only for jetted tubs mainly because they have both electrical connections and a pump which could go bad. The water lines, as long as they don't leak today, they will likely not leak tomorrow and can be safely hidden behind the wall (just like they are in most bathrooms/showers). Hope this helps.
Unread 04-30-2012, 09:57 PM   #5
Oebur
Sean

In the initial post you say that the kids have a bathtub, then later on that it has a shower? Which is it because it is nice to have an access panel if the tub ever needs to be replaced.

"Homer, I don't mind if you pee in the shower, but only if your taking a shower!!"
Oebur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 10:36 PM   #6
meganjo

Quote:
In the initial post you say that the kids have a bathtub, then later on that it has a shower? Which is it because it is nice to have an access panel if the tub ever needs to be replaced.
Sorry. It's both. It's a bathtub and shower. The tub has no jets. It's a one piece surround bathtub made of fiberglass, I believe.

As of right now, it's working really well. I do see that it had leaked at one point down through the floor and into the ceiling which has since been patched (poorly, since I could tell..).

One thing I've noticed about this house is that none of the wet areas are caulked. The toilet, tub/shower was not caulked where it meets the floor. This is also why I am not using my master bath. The shower door leaks water right down the edge into the crack between the linoleum and the shower. It has never been caulked. There is too much damage now to make any difference.

I gave my hubby some different layouts. I still prefer the one posted above, but he likes this one posted below.

Cons: moving the toilet even further that it may need another vent pipe. The bathroom is smaller. We have to make a new doorway for the closet. Breaking up the East wall of the bedroom.

Pros: The bathroom and the closet are separated. There is enough room for a standard tub/shower if we want one. There is access to all plumbing in the closet. The closet is just as big as the other layout, even with the notch out of it.
Attached Images

Last edited by meganjo; 04-30-2012 at 10:37 PM. Reason: forgot to add pic!
meganjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2012, 07:06 AM   #7
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
The only problem with not having access is that something will need to be torn out if there is a problem. But many showers/tubs do not have access. So it's up to you.

Either layout works.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2012, 09:23 AM   #8
WendyHMN
Amateur Jack of All Trades

Also, check your local plumbing code. Most places require access IF you have water shut-offs inside the wall. If the pipes run straight to the tub/shower valve you probably don't have to have an access panel.

Blue belt DIYer. Moderately proficient and occasionally useful.
See my finished master bath here.
WendyHMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2012, 09:33 AM   #9
meganjo

Can this combo be installed on the second floor?

This could work perfectly in my long but narrow bathroom. I even have a window that would be perfect for right along side the tub. Would you guys consider doing something like this for an upstairs bathroom?
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase