Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 10-06-2016, 08:56 PM   #136
rmckee84

I got in contact with Nic Sallis and he gave me confidence in his saw, it had everything I wanted but it was nice to talk with the guy who is responsible for design. I had my saw sent factory direct, but I purchased it through contractors direct and unfortunately Lackmond had a mix up and forgot to send my side and rear trays and table extension. I'm not worried though contractors direct is on it and they never disappoint.
I stuck a pearl p4 turbo mesh on it and cut the hardest 3/8" porcelain I had on hand and it cut with ease. Water containment is still to be determined, once I get my trays and extension we'll see if Nic got the kinks worked out.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2016, 12:03 PM   #137
Premier Designs

Just bought a 10", looking forward to its arrival ..
Unread 10-31-2016, 11:04 AM   #138
Jim Doane
Custom Masonry Contractor

Any thoughts on the new improved Lackmond 10 inch Beast vs the new improved Ridgid 10 inch Beast ? Just burned thru my second dewalt saw and looking at one of theses two . Still have my go to 10 inch target that will never fail me.
Unread 11-17-2016, 08:49 PM   #139
Premier Designs

Used the Lackmond 10" for the first time today, and I'm impressed. Quiet, no slack at all in the table, very little vibration, and smooth. Nice quality and finish. It's effortless cutting 12x24's. Plunge works great .. The only thing it lacks is a stop for the water tray, when you fold it up on the stand the tray drops out, but its easily fixed .. there's a screw hole on either side of the water tray right in front, I just hand threaded a bolt into it and its perfect, the tray stays put while folded now, I'd like a little more volume through the pump, but it's ok ..

I've been using a ML 101 Pro, I do prefer the belt drive, but this saw is better overall, very pleased with it.
Unread 11-25-2016, 12:13 PM   #140
Sam Splash

The BEAST 7" on the list

I missed this thread when I started my 1st forum thread - http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...d.php?t=121384

Took a while to get to a recommendation for the Lackmond Beat 7". I sure like what I'm reading and watching the on line videos. Will be watching here for more reports from Ryan as you use your new upgraded Beast 7".

Good to be here.
Unread 12-06-2016, 06:46 PM   #141
Winndustries

The Beast

Long time reader first time poster. Just wanted to say hello and thanks for all the knowledge i have got from this forum, sometimes i think i get more info on this forum then on the job.

I picked up a 7" Beast this weekend and just thought i would share my experience so far. I have only done 2 test rips and have not brought it out on the job yet. It is definitely an older model. I find there is lots of slop in the tray when only 2 of the 3 rollers are on the track. The blade that comes with it seems good but if you want to plunge it is useless. From the very limited use of the saw i would say water is gonna be the biggest issue. It seems the water wants to go everywhere but on the blade. It mists a lot more then my Dewalt. I am assuming it is a combination of the single hose, exhaust port and blade that make it messy. I will report back when i purchase a new blade for it and get some real time behind it.

www.winndustries.ca
Winndustries is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2016, 12:55 PM   #142
Lump
Tile sales/installation central WI

Dry cut saw

Haven't been around for a while but I just came across this saw called the IQ dry cut tile saw. Looks promising with decent benefits. I put a request for preorder in but unsure what the cost is yet. Here is a you tube link. Not sure if it deserves its own thread thought fellow tile crazies would want to see this. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2HKU3lqm1i8

Success is a ladder that cannot be climbed with your hands in your pocket.

NTCA Proud Member
ICRI certified moisture technician

Last edited by Tiger Mountain Tile Inc; 12-12-2016 at 08:15 AM. Reason: embed vid
Lump is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2016, 05:51 AM   #143
Todd Groettum
Theoriginaltileguytodd

Interesting conceptually but I wonder how long blades would last ....

theoriginaltileguytodd
Todd Groettum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2016, 08:19 AM   #144
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

I saw that saw at a show recently and it's interesting. It cut 3/8" thick porcelain clean- really clean. Part of the concept is that the vacuum helps cool the blade and I think he has a special blade designed for that saw. At least that's what I think I remember.

But along with what Todd said- can it stand up to 1-2 hours of straight cutting? I don't know. But the little 4 inch cuts looked cool!
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2016, 10:22 AM   #145
Todd Groettum
Theoriginaltileguytodd

Well, i recently had a long discussion with ANDY L on the phone...Husqvarna man and my old Felker Friend who some of you know....We were talkink about Diamonds and Diamond blades...
Did you know that Diamonds used on Diamond blades are GROWN???

They are all of uniform size.....Its cheaper to grow em a uniform size for use on blades....Now, if that is the case, what kind of Special blade could it be??

I do not know, but i am Really curious

theoriginaltileguytodd
Todd Groettum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2017, 02:48 PM   #146
rmckee84

So I'm ready to give an update on my thoughts of the beast 7". Going from my old saw to the beast took a little getting used to.
Water delivery is good I like being able to aim the stream and the valve for controlling amount of water is nice. If you only have the single hose design contact Lackmond and they will get you lined out with the dual.

Water containment, it does have a few areas that water can leave the tray and not make it into the pan but I just got off the phone with Nic and the newest 10" has modifications to address it. He said he would see what he could do about the 7".

It cuts great. Some say its loud but its quieter than my old saw and I wear ear muffs so it doesn't bother me. Mitres are easy and I have no complaints there. The tray has a little slop when the tray is all the way back when making long cuts, but after a little use you figure out where you need to be and its really not an issue. I dialed the saw in at 1/32" on a 24" rip the day I got it and 2 months later its still cutting true.

Overall I like the saw. I will say the customer service is top notch, if you have an issue I'm confident they will find a way to help you.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2017, 10:22 AM   #147
That's Normal

Thanks for the update. I'm about to buy the 7" Beast to replace my old Dewalt.
I hope I won't regret it.
Unread 01-05-2017, 10:55 AM   #148
Skehoe

I've been a very happy pearl abrasives saw owner for the last 8 years. The time has come to replace it and am having a hard time deciding.

I'm having a hard time straying from what I know works and cuts great. I wish I could see and use a beast in person before I purchase. The lack of a 2 horse motor makes me leery. I would love a pearl with larger capacity, but one doesn't exist unfortunately.

My only other consideration has been grabbing a Imer rail saw.

Anyone out there that has used both a pearl and beast saws that could offer some insight?
Unread 01-06-2017, 05:15 AM   #149
tilemanct
Tile & Stone

The Dry Cut Saw has no tilt head option. These days that is a must have feature.

CTEF Certified Installer
I lost my hero on 5-21-16 You will be missed. Semper Fi
tilemanct is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2017, 11:14 AM   #150
Skehoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilemanct View Post
The Dry Cut Saw has no tilt head option. These days that is a must have feature.

What's the dry cut saw? I have a pearl currently and it has no tiltable head feature. I'm ok with that. I've spent the first 20 years of my career with mks and pearls so I've got pretty good work arounds for miters at this point.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase