Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-10-2022, 01:08 PM   #1
Methodical

Tiled myself into a corner...need extra set of eyes to help me out.

I am tiling the typical tub surround with 12x24 tiles. I had been tiling the bath area and got to the last row of tile and I was tired. It was near midnight and instead of stopping for the night I pushed on to complete the last row so that I could start installing the bullnose the next day. It totally slipped my mind that I needed to trim the top of the tile so that when I installed the bullnose it would not interfere with the shower head escutcheon. When I got in the next day I realized I forgot to trim the tile and now the bullnose trim piece sits at the shower head (see photo).

I know you professionals and professional DIYers have seen and maybe even made mistakes like this and can provide some suggestions on how to move forward with this. I am open to any suggestions.

Below are fews things I came up with to overcome the issue.

1. Ditch the bullnose and use another trim piece to finish the job (I'm near a Floor & Decor who sells many variety of specialty trims).
2. Install another row of tile, but my concern is it will be installed on drywall.
3. Open the wall and move the shower head pipe up to clear the bullnose.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and provide feedback...

Al
Attached Images

"Yesterday is History, tomorrow is a Mystery, today is a gift - that's why it is called the Present"
Methodical is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-10-2022, 01:36 PM   #2
Gozo

I’d go with option 2 or 3. I’m not going to get into the “should of…” discussion. You have to work with what you got at this point.
On option 2, no problem tiling to drywall up that high. It’s not like you going to be spraying water up there at any volume repeatedly.
Personally, I’d go with option 3, especially if you can get to the pipe and framing from the other side of the wall.
Think it through, take your time.
Unread 01-10-2022, 04:55 PM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Al,

Option 2 is best.

Another method is to cut the bullnose at 22-1/2 degrees and form a little pitched roof over the shower head pipe.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2022, 05:17 PM   #4
Lou_MA

Option 2
Unread 01-11-2022, 07:24 AM   #5
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Option 2, X3.

I'd execute option 3 only if is if the installed shower head is lower than you'd really like it to be.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2022, 07:30 AM   #6
MesaTileworks

Option 2, or option 4: ditch the bullnose and tile to the ceiling (assuming you have enough tile).
MesaTileworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2022, 01:01 PM   #7
speed51133

Tile to the ceiling. Who cares if it is on the drywall?. In fact, tile the ceiling.
Unread 01-11-2022, 02:50 PM   #8
Methodical

Thanks everyone for chiming in and giving me a sanity check and extra set of eyes on this issue.

Option 2: Question. If I installed another row of tile I should be ok installing the bullnose, correct? It won't looked crazy will it?

Option 4: Mike, Matt, I thought about tiling to the ceiling and may still consider doing it, but it's an old townhouse and nothing seems to be leveled anymore. I will take some measurements to see what it looks like at the top and if there are no crazy cuts required, I may go this route. What type of trim work would you use for the sides of the tile (portion that sits on the edge of the tub)?

Gozo, curious about the "should have" comment. Let me know what you are thinking.

Thanks again for the xtra sets of eyes.

"Yesterday is History, tomorrow is a Mystery, today is a gift - that's why it is called the Present"

Last edited by Methodical; 01-11-2022 at 02:56 PM.
Unread 01-11-2022, 04:33 PM   #9
Gozo

As to the “should have” part; I was just being a wise-ass. As in “you should have planned this out a bit better” but figured you’re where you are, so that wasn’t going to give you any useful information. I’m tall, and raised the shower head a good 6+” from where it was before the remodel. Also went to the ceiling with the tile. Planned all the tile grout lines and plumbing cutouts with a story stick before touching a bag of mortar. That’s just me; a bit OCD on my DIY stuff. I hear they got meds for that now…
Unread 01-11-2022, 04:38 PM   #10
cx
Moderator emeritus

Don't take the meds, Jeff. Your instincts appear to have been good thus far.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2022, 05:44 PM   #11
MesaTileworks

Yeah, tiling to ceiling might be tricky at this stage *if* it turns out to be a sliver but at the top since you’ve already begun and can’t adjust height. If you’ve got tile enough and the cut ain’t crazy, that’s what I’d do. If you go all the way up, you could still use bullnose on the sides or a metal trim strip like Schluter makes.
MesaTileworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2022, 08:37 AM   #12
Methodical

Jeff, the issue was not created by an incorrect tile layout; it was because I forgot to trim the last row of tile.

The tile was laid out correctly using a laser and everything is straight and leveled. The last row of tile required a small trim but as I stated in the 1st post I forgot to trim the last row of tile (you may have overlooked that comment) while trying to tile late at night while I was dead tired...just for got to make the cuts. I should've stopped and continued the next day when my mind was fresh but I didn't and this is where I am as a result. I know it can be corrected just trying to find the best path forward. Fortunately, I can do all of the work myself even if it comes down to moving the plumbing so it won't be a big issue to correct.

Mesa, it will be hard to slide a schluter trim under the tile at this point, unless there's something you'll know that I don't on how to install it at this point.

Thanks...

Last edited by Methodical; 01-13-2022 at 01:31 PM.
Unread 01-13-2022, 08:56 AM   #13
jeffnc

Not sure what your concern is for tiling over drywall. If it's waterproofing, that's not a concern, because most showers have showerheads sticking out of drywall anyway. Putting tile over drywall is going to make it more waterproof, not less so. And up that high it just doesn't matter. If it's adherence, tile thinsets perfectly well to drywall.

It would look a bit unplanned to have your showerhead coming out of trim tile, but not drastically so. Just make a cut in the trile small enough to be covered by the escutcheon and forge on my man.
Unread 01-13-2022, 01:35 PM   #14
Methodical

Jeffnc, I plan to install one additional row of tile or go to the ceiling. I purchased extra tile of the same color and size lot. I would never cut the showerhead hole in the trim piece. That is something that I don't think would look good at all.

Thanks for the feedback...

Unread 01-13-2022, 01:38 PM   #15
jeffnc

Oh well then yeah that's a no brainer

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase