Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-09-2022, 08:58 AM   #1
eyesoftheworld1977

Need Help Before Grouting Marble - Many Considerations (grout choice, bleeding, etc.)

I just finished a long tile job (see attached pics) and want to ensure things go as smoothly as possible during the grouting phase... I’d love thoughts on the below topics before I start. Thanks in advance!

1- I plan on applying 511 impregnator with a rag to my current marble shower before grouting. Once Grouting is complete, I plan to apply a second coat.

a. Is this the best way to seal a shower?
b. How long after grouting should I wait to seal again?
c. Is there a better way to apply sealer or is indirectly with a rag the best? I can also use a spray bottle which would help get into the grout joints before grouting if that’s even desirable.

2- I’m concerned about my grey grout color (cobblestone flexcolor CQ) bleeding into the white Carrara marble. I’ll likely test grout on a spot that will be hidden but would love your thoughts on this. I figure pre-sealing will help eliminate any bleed though. Is bleeding through unfinished/unpolished edges that are unsealed a concern? I’ve read about picture frame stains.

3- I was planning on using Mapei Flexcolor CQ because I like that it’s pre-mixed, easy to clean up and doesn’t stain. On the other hand, I know it’s a sand based grout and my joints are 1/16th so I really wanted to use an unsanded grout. I’ve read that you shouldn’t use sanded grout with polished marble because it has a tendency to scratch the soft marble. I’ve also read really mixed reviews on this Flexcolor CQ, some love it, some heat it. Should I be using something else all together?
Attached Images

Unread 01-09-2022, 09:29 AM   #2
RichVT
Vermont Remodeling Contractor

With that many questions, you should definitely make up a test board.
Unread 01-09-2022, 09:48 AM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Matt.

Hope you did a lot of research before you elected to use that marble in a shower.

I certainly can't argue with Rich's thinking here. You definitely want to do some testing before you commit.

One thing I would suggest in your testing is that you try a grout release, rather than a penetrating sealer, prior to grouting. And I think you'd want to be very cautious about using a sealer on the marble in that application at all.

If you'll type marble shower, just those two words, into the Advanced Search feature and do some browsing, you might get a better idea what sorts of problems you might encounter with your shower. Sealing might not be a good move at all, but I really think you'll need to do some testing. Perhaps in a small area of the completed shower, even, after you've finished grouting and put it into service.

The Flexcolor CQ should go into those 1/16ths" joints with just a little effort. Whether it will scratch your tile surface, I cannot say. Again, some testing is in order.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2022, 02:03 PM   #4
eyesoftheworld1977

Help Removing Mesh Tile Floor in Shower

Hello all,

Long story short, someone spilled soda in my shower before I was able to grout and seal. It obviously stained… it’s not as dark as in this photo however it is still noticeable.

Any recommendations on how to easily remove portions of the marble mesh tile so that I can lay in new pieces? I will likely want to remove roughly 1’ x 1.5’ of tile. Redoing the entire floor isn’t an option.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Unread 01-18-2022, 03:34 PM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

Matt, I've combined you with your original thread on this shower so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered. A moderator can give it a more generic title if you'd like to suggest one.

But I still don't see any information about how the shower receptor was constructed. Specifically, to what is your floor tile bonded?

Unread 01-18-2022, 06:45 PM   #6
eyesoftheworld1977

CX, the shower floor is pretty standard- 1 1/4” subfloor, and two sloped mortar beds with a pvc liner between (beds are Portland and sand).

The area that saw the soda is actually lightening up as days pass, fortunately so I may not need to replace. Any suggestions on cleaning / removing this type of staining.

Lastly, I know there are a ton of mixed reviews on sealing marble. What about the shower floor that sees the most amount of water. I’m reading that tenax protex is great. I was originally thinking a few coats of 511 impregnator on the floor.

Thanks for the guidance.

Last edited by eyesoftheworld1977; 01-18-2022 at 06:52 PM.
eyesoftheworld1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2022, 07:16 PM   #7
cx
Moderator emeritus

If you've got a traditional mortar bed shower floor, not much danger in removing some of your tiles. May hafta do a bit of repair on the mortar, depending on how well the tiles were bonded, but that's not a large problem.

I'm not the right guy for the cleaning information in most cases. 'Specially since I don't really know what "soda" might have been.

Sealing the marble floor? I dunno. Might help, might not. I figger either it will or it won't, but that's just a guess.

Were it my personal shower build, and if I'd actually used a light colored marble on the floor (wouldn't happen), I'd be inclined not to seal it at all. Others will disagree.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase