Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-23-2021, 01:45 PM   #1
Casman

My 1st time with tile need Layout advice

Actually my second bathroom remodel with the last being 20+yrs ago, but hired out tile work. That guy was terrible so figured I’d do it myself. Wife told me to clean the bathroom. I dislike cleaning so I tore it down instead. I figured for $6K I’d just remodel it. Welp, I’m now over $20K as the tile alone was $6K. Did I mention it’s a small bathroom…tiny.
The girls picked out everything and I think they’re trying to kill me for the insurance money as I’m bad with shapes. The shower floor tile is in and I’m at the Wall layout stage. The tiles are 8 x 20 and I’m, we’re, the girls want a stack pattern. The ceiling height is near perfect with 1 corner being 1/8th high.

I know that if I don’t get the layout right I’ll mess up the entire look. I have the ledger placed for my first row but uncertain if I should balance the vertical grout (symmetry) the niche, or the wall as it seems I can’t do both unless I cut down the width.

Using the tile placement in the photo centers the vertical grout lines in relation to the niche, but will leave cut tile on each end, the left in and around 16” and the right approx 12”. Without cutting down the width on every tile, I can’t think of any other way two equalize the grout lines with the niche and the wall on the ends. Am I on the right track, or way off the playground? The front wall is 8’5” tall x 69”wide. I need advice please. I’m including photos where I started, and where I’m at now. House was built in 1890.

Last edited by Casman; 09-23-2021 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Adding detail
Casman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-23-2021, 01:50 PM   #2
Casman

Pics

Oops trying again with pics.
Attached Images

Last edited by Casman; 09-23-2021 at 02:33 PM.
Unread 09-23-2021, 03:06 PM   #3
Just In Tile LLC

Cris, with a guesstimate of your shower and bathroom floor I have it around 180 sqft. That's $30 a sqft for tile?? seems high?

I rarely use the niche as a layout point horizontally. I think the back wall always looks nicer centered, and the niche just having the cuts what they are. I do add into my layout the vertical position of the niche sometimes. In general I tend to center the back wall and have full tile at the ceiling/top of my showers. Of all the choices that is what looks best to me. Of course other things can effect that, especially if a small cut is in a highly visible location.
Unread 09-23-2021, 03:39 PM   #4
Casman

Thank you Justin. It’s very small and I almost flipped out at the cost of the tile. But I sent my girls to select everything as I’m not good picking out stuff. I know there’s mother of pearl stuff in some of the mosaic work. It took months for the marble to arrive from I guess overseas.

So if I got this right, I’ll work more toward achieving symmetry with the overall wall area, with the cut ends being the same. So 14.5 20/20 14.5, with slight adjustments on the ends for grout spacing. Thanks again for your advice.

Last edited by Casman; 09-23-2021 at 04:14 PM.
Unread 09-23-2021, 10:04 PM   #5
BIGPHIL

Chris,

I agree with Justin's advice on the layout. If the pictures you posted are of your current installation state, I'd stop tiling immediately. I see some major gaps in your Wedi panels around the niche and it appears most of your seams do not have the required 1" of sealant on each side of the seams. It almost appears that you missed the step of the additional 1/2" bead of sealant that is applied topically to the seams and spread flat after the panels are fastened to the studs. It looks like just the squeeze out was spread. Did you flood test the primo pan?
Unread 09-23-2021, 11:24 PM   #6
Casman

Thanks Phil for your reply. I had to rerun a wire which is why I haven’t yet applied Wedi sealant to those areas and a few others. I’m proceeding at a snails pace and will likely set a few rows at a time. I’m also waiting for some shelves, the bench top and more Wedi sealant. Yes, I flood tested the pan prior to tiling

Last edited by Casman; 09-24-2021 at 04:15 AM.
Unread 09-24-2021, 08:20 PM   #7
BIGPHIL

Ok, glad to hear. Keep us posted on the progress!
Unread 09-30-2021, 06:59 PM   #8
Casman

Fix it or leave it? Small piece of wall tile moved off line

My first time working with tile. I’m using 8 x 20 marble originally planned to stack but my girls changed to brick/running. I have a end piece which butts (gap 1/8) up to the front side of the shower bench. It’s approx 2.5 x 8. It moved and I didn’t see it. I was using 2 (1/8th) inch self leveling clips per side so I didn’t see it. I’ve since changed to using only 1. The 1/8th inch vertical grout line thus is 1/8th at the bottom and narrows to 1/16 toward the top. My girls say you can’t see it, but I see it. I’ve read that a grout line that’s off sticks out like a sore thumb.

I know I can cut out the tile which is on Wedi board and replace. My question is is it feasible to cut the tile grout line while on the wall with a grinder to essentially recreate the line. This sounds rather hackish but it seems to my inexperienced tile brain like an idea..

Thanks Cass
Unread 09-30-2021, 07:13 PM   #9
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Cris, or is it Cass?

It'll help if you'll keep all the project questions on one thread so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered. A moderator can give it a more generic title any time you'd like to suggest one.

Without a photo, at least, I doubt anyone over here can give a very valid opinion of your situation. But I can say that if "the girls" don't think it's a problem, it's probably not a problem, eh?

I've never done a Wedi shower and really don't know how much damage you're likely to do pulling a well set tile from the surface of that material. I would expect a good deal of damage, though, if your mortar coverage was good.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2021, 08:02 PM   #10
Casman

Thanks, I got it, all in 1 thread. I use both Cris and Cass is my nickname since I was little. Here’s a pic which I was reluctant to post as it’s a bit sloppy. It was my first row. Note: When I uploaded the pic rotated. Trying to remove the tile from a Wedi panel would rip the whole thing apart. Basically, you’d cut out the tile with the Wedi attached, then cut a new Wedi board patch. Thanks for any help.
Attached Images

Unread 09-30-2021, 08:13 PM   #11
BIGPHIL

Ehhhhh....I'd be tempted to leave it as is. It's low and not likely to catch your eye once grouted. Be sure to clean the mortar off your tiles with a damp sponge as you set them.

There is an approved way to cut the Wedi board out and put a new piece in if that's what you decide to end up doing. There is a video on the Wedi North America Facebook page showing such a fix. It may be a little more difficult in a corner though and in such an area that will likely see a lot of water running down it, I'd be even more hesitant of such a fix....but, it is possible.
Unread 09-30-2021, 08:37 PM   #12
Casman

Thanks Phil:

Yup, my first few rows were quite sloppy with the thinset. The guy at the tile shop said I should use a 1/4 notch trowel on the wall and back butter 1/4 on the tile and that’d be 1/2 inch. That proved to be a mess for me. I picked up a 1/2 trowel and now just apply it to the wall with the 1/2 inch and lightly skim/burn the back of the tile. This seems to work much better. I’m only doing a few rows at a time. The first couple meh, but 3 & 4 went a bit better. I’m not sure if I like or need to use the self leveling wedge thingees. I’m getting a bit of squeeze out and can’t clean it off with them in the way. Or perhaps I need to reduce the amount of thinset around the perimeter so when I set in place there’s less squeeze out? Keep in mind I’ve got no clue what I’m doing but have only read quite a bit, watched lots of videos etc. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited by Casman; 09-30-2021 at 08:52 PM.
Unread 09-30-2021, 09:06 PM   #13
BIGPHIL

If using a lippage control system, the best way I've found to limit the mess after spreading more mortar on the wall is to use a margin trowel and knock down/remove a bit of mortar from the edge of the tile that was just set. When you set the next tile, there should be little squeeze out if you knocked enough down, while still providing at least 95% coverage. If your substrate is flat and your tiles are flat, you can get by without a lippage control system. To minimize the mess in that case, when you're setting a tile next to the previous one, put the tile in place touching the previous one and start bedding it in. That minimizes the squeeze out for sure. Just be sure to use a spirit level to verify the tile is in plane and no lippage after you set a row.
Unread 10-01-2021, 09:46 AM   #14
Casman

Thanks Phil, I worked this today and seems each row is getting better. I’m using Ardex 77 and that stuff sticks. I had to pull a piece off to trim as it was tight to the sidewall and although I just put it on it didn’t want to come off. I’ve noticed that although there are visible color variations in the marble once it’s up it appears darker…I’m not sure why, but it made me feel better about the project. I didn’t think I was color matching but between rows it looked like my first 4 rows were all grey and row 5 appeared more white and I was thinking you dummy it’s gonna look funny.

The 1/8 spacing is tough. I precut the niche trim and after putting it in I thought it looked good. After removing the spacers today the top left mitre moved down a 16th or so and I can see it. It’s not terrible but was unexpected. Maybe I should have gone with a larger grout line but the tile guy I hired yrs ago went with 1/2 inch and it looks like cow ????.
Unread 10-06-2021, 09:18 AM   #15
Casman

What is the typical layout turning the corner when running a brick pattern

Working on the side wall soon. As I said before I’m bad with shapes. The side walls are approx 35 inches wide, and the tile is 8 x 20. Is it as simple as continuing the pattern, meaning a 5 on the end receives a 15, to make the 20? And vice versa.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase