Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-12-2012, 12:17 PM   #1
Jay_bee

Questions about doing a curbless shower

Hey guys, I have a handicap shower that I am going to be doing. My question is what to do where the hot mop over laps the sub floor. The pan is recessed and hot mopped and the hot mop runs over the sub floor about six inches and is about 3/8 thick. I am going to float the pan. I will be using 1/2 hardi on the floor. So where the hardi buts to the hot mop it will be almost the same height.
Thanks in advance.
Unread 01-12-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

That method wouldn't have been my first choice!

Depending on the size of the shower and the placement of the showerhead, how would you waterproof the area outside of the shower if overspray got there? CBU isn't waterproof, just stable in water.

the setting bed needs thickness, so that adds to the top of the hotmop, which will be quite a bit more than that 1/2". Maybe some pictures would help, then the pros can cogitate a reasonable answer for you.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2012, 11:15 PM   #3
Jay_bee

The pan is 3'x4' and is 2" lower than the sub floor so there will be 2" of deck mud to bring it up to the same hieght as the floor tile. I will get some pics but I won't be back till next week.

What would be your preferred method?

Thanks
Unread 01-14-2012, 09:36 AM   #4
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

You can salvage your plan by waterproofing the top of the CBU and marrying that waterproofing into the hot mop. Not sure how you'd accomplish that.

My preferred method would have been to use a surface membrane for the entire project such as kerdi, noble, or hydroban. That way you can shape the shower floor to the exact height then waterproof the shower and main bath floor all with the same product line. In the pic below we tiled the HC shower for an injured US Marine. The shower was in Kerdi with the floor in Ditra, the kerdi overlapped to the ditra, waterproofing the entire bathroom floor.
Attached Images

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2012, 10:17 AM   #5
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

Justin,

if your already hot mopped and putting mud over it and then Hardi on the floor that isnt a good way to do a curbless shower.
you are going to need to have the waterproofing on top of the Hardi and it has to run continuous onto the top of the mud bed.
I think you should look into HydroBan on the top and a way to tie the liquid membrane into the drain with a divot.
..............^^--Check out our Blog--^^
Tampa, Florida installer of Schluter Kerdi/Kerdiboard waterproofed showers
Tampa, Florida installer of Laticrete HydroBan/HydroBan board waterproofed showers
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase