Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-05-2003, 06:07 AM   #1
Sam

tile saw recommendation?

I'd like to get a tile saw for several tiling jobs in my house. What brands or models would people recommend? Probably a 10" blade, needs to cut 12" tile diagonally. Thanks.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-05-2003, 07:14 AM   #2
DaninDetroit

Sam,

I'm a neophyte, and recently purchased a Felker FTS-150. I can tell you the company's customer service is excellent.

Do a quick search of the forum on Felker, and read this thread, which I found helpful:

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...ghlight=Felker

Here's a link to the Felker TM-75, which says it will fulfill your requirements (it's an 8" saw):

http://www.felkersaws.com/new_TM75.shtml

There are plenty of pro's to advise you...the links above will get you started.

Good luck and happy sawing!

Dan
DaninDetroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2003, 07:32 AM   #3
Billy

Last week I ordered an FTS-150 for $499 with free shipping from these guys:
http://www.toolcountryusa.com/Catalo...aw_1114562.htm

I expect to receive it any day and I'll let you know how this company works out. It looks like an excellent saw.

Billy
Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2003, 03:23 PM   #4
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Sam,

I don't think you can beat the Felker. I'm biased, of course.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2003, 09:17 PM   #5
T_Hulse
Tile Contractor

I agree, go with one of the Felkers. Too many new guys get trapped only looking at 'features', and they just assume that things like accuracy, power, & durability must be about equal for similarly priced saws. Couldn't be farther from the truth. The Felkers are in another class by themselves.
T_Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2003, 06:14 AM   #6
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

Well if you do a search on Felker in this Forum, you'll find my name all over it.There's a reason for it.If you want to buy 1 saw,1 time.You like quality tools and hate Down time.Felker is the saw to own.Targets are good too if you like them girly colors

" If you dont own a Felker,your'e just playin at Tile"
Unread 09-06-2003, 07:40 AM   #7
zman

if you are looking for a deal on a saw for diy use, call Ackto in chicago at 630-932-9450. they recently changed the cutting format on their saw(went to the overhead) and discontinued the d cut 100, a 2 1/2 hp brute that cuts a 16" on a diagonal. i've owned two of them. i sold one to a contractor who ditched his mk 101.

here's the deal i got a few months ago: i bot the saw, blade and stand and pump delivered to me free from the company for a total of $400.

it has worked great for me.

takes this info with the following caveats:
1. i'm not a pro
2. the saw has been discontinued
Unread 09-06-2003, 08:37 AM   #8
Sam

Thanks for all the suggestions. I do like to buy 1 saw, 1 time. I'll get a Felker.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2003, 10:30 AM   #9
BeamMeUpScotty

I purchased a QEP 10" saw at Home Depot and have been very satisfied with it through several large tile jobs. It has a powerfull 2 amp motor and handles porcelin fine.

I'm not hung up on brand recognition; I bought QEP 'cause I needed a saw the next day and it was between an expensive MK ($785) and QEP ($499) at Home Depot. I guess QEP is an off-brand and the pro's here will probably knock it, but it's doing the job for me.

Scotty
BeamMeUpScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2003, 08:07 PM   #10
John Bridge
Mudmeister

On the contrary, Scotty. I buy QEP trowels and some of their other tools too. I've never tried one of their motorized tools because I understand the difference in motors and in horsepower ratings (which are, to say the least, subjective.)

If a person gets what he's paid for, I'm certainly not going to knock it. My own experience has resulted in my buying the more expensive saws (even though I personally know Andy is getting rich off this deal).
Unread 09-06-2003, 08:22 PM   #11
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

I am a Pro and I wont knock the Qep if it does the job you need it to do.It is not However even in the same league as a Felker.
Would you buy a Hilti demolition hammer,or a Benchtop.That is the type of quality comparison we are talking about.If i used a Demo hammer 1 time per year its hard to justify the 1500.00 for a Hilti ,300 for a generic sounds more reasonable.If you want to own top quality tools though so that you only have to buy them once.You buy the Hilti.Same goes with the Felker.
I reccomend them for 1 reason and 1 reason only.In My opinion and Many other proffessionals they are the best tool for the job bar None.And as an Added Bonus, They actually hold thier Value quite well
Unread 10-15-2003, 07:12 PM   #12
luverofpeanuts

Send a message via AIM to luverofpeanuts Send a message via MSN to luverofpeanuts Send a message via Yahoo to luverofpeanuts
I'm having a hard time deciding on the Felker models.

Myself and two friends have some projects that we'd like to get a good tile saw for.

The projects basically include one house that will be built, remodelling in another house, and then a fair number of side jobs that may include remodelling large rooms, to smaller stuff like foyers or bathrooms. Intricate pattern work is likely to be done...i.e, borders consisting of small shapes, like diamonds or triangles. Porcelin tile will be used extensively in one of the houses.

This has been in the back of our minds for about a year now. Now it is back, and we are ready to buy. The FTS150 seems to be a great economical choice for the quality saw it is. What I'm wondering is if we shouldn't be considering bigger saws, like the Tile Master XL. It "would be nice" to be able to cut 18" diagonally. Can anyone offer some suggestions about some of the features of the higher priced units that they would find worth paying more up front?

Thanks for any information, this forum was a great help last year, and continues to be educational.

...gregl (aka luverofpeanuts)
gregl@magnaspeed.net

gregl@magnaspeed.net
(aka luverofpeanuts)
luverofpeanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2003, 07:39 PM   #13
Billy

The FTS-150 has been great and the customer support is second to none. I'll let the real pros fill you in on the TileMasters.

Billy
Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2003, 06:11 AM   #14
John Bridge
Mudmeister

The larger Felker saws are equipped with American-made Baldor motors which are superior to most motors available. Mucho muscle.

If you can pay the price, the tool is worth the money.
Unread 10-16-2003, 06:33 AM   #15
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

I second Johns opinion here.If you can swing the extra money,the Tilemaster is the way to go.Think of it as a cadillac with a Hemi engine
It is however going to weigh up some but if you will be setting it up for a week or more at a time on jobs thats not really an issue.Its when you are doing 2-3 jobs a day that the weight gets old quick.For the type work you are talking about i wouldnt worry too much about weight.
"If you dont own a Felker,your just playing at tile"

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase