Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-23-2007, 09:10 PM   #1
mike051306

Send a message via Yahoo to mike051306
Mike's bath/laundry remodel

hello,
I have read lots of good info on this board, so I thought I would join so I can ask some questions concerning my project.
I am taking a corner of my basement and turning it in to a bath/laundry room. the room is about 10x13 foot, it will end up a little smaller after I get the walls finished.
I am in the process of putting in an egress window, and braking up the floor to redo the DWV pipes. I think I finally have the layout finalized, it has changed a half dozen times.
My wife picked out the floor tile, which is granite. She likes it, and it was on sale, so it will do. We haven't decided on shower tile yet.

We have decided on a custom 48 x 60 shower with a shower head at each end. I was first going to use the Kerdi pan and mortar on two sides to make the length I want, but I have decided to give a try at a custom pan. I will be using the Kerdi drain and the Kerdi membrane. The sales rep told me that I can just cut strips of the membrane to use instead of the Kerdi Band. Although the band is thinner, does it look okay to just use the Kerdi membrane.

1. Do I use the same mud mix with the Kerdi system 4:1-6:1 or can I use something different?

2. It is about 130 lbs of concrete for one cubic foot, right?

3. Can I use the same concrete mix to fill in my basement floor, where I had to brake it out?

4. I got CBU for the shower, but I was first going to do something different, because I changed to the Kerdi membrane, should I return it and get the regular drywall?

5. Should the rest of the room be green board, or would plane drywall be fine?

6. Our house is about 60 years old, and about 25% of the basement floor in the bath area will be new, should I use Ditra under the granite tiles, or if I wait a month before laying the tile should everything be okay? Oh, there will be in floor heating pads under the granite, Suntouch I think the brand is.

I think that is all of my questions for now. I am planning a big trip to HD this weekend, which is about 200 miles away, so I want to get everything if possible, that is the reason for so many questions. It sucks to be in a small town.
Thanks for all the assistance.
Michael

Last edited by cx; 10-23-2007 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Add Numbering
mike051306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-23-2007, 09:47 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Michael.

I added some numbering to your questions for ease of response.

1. Yes.

2. Close enough for any tile project considerations.

3. I would not. I like to use something like Quikrete's regular ol' concrete mix.

4. I would use regular drywall.

5. Regular drywall is fine.

6. I think you might wanna talk to the Sun Touch people about that. If you're talking about a lot of patched concrete down there, you're likely to need some serious crack isolation there. Depending upon how you treat the heating system and the areas around it, it's difficult to know just what you'll need over the top of it all. I'd very strongly recommend you call Schluter directly (800-472-4588) after you've made the decisions about the heating system.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2007, 09:56 PM   #3
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Assuming the granite tile is polished...be careful...it will be very slippery when wet.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2007, 10:59 PM   #4
mike051306

Cx,
Thanks for numbering the questions, I should have done that.

jadnashua,
it is polished, that is why I didn't really want it, but my wife wanted it. We will put down a rug by the shower, so that will help. Maybe we will find something different by the time I am ready to put down the floor tile.

Any recommendations for trowels for the shower pan? I do not have any concrete tools, and I don't want to buy stuff I don't need, or that doesn't do the job right.

michael
Unread 10-24-2007, 08:31 PM   #5
mike051306

What size notched trowel for the granite floor tiles?
Thanks,
michael
Unread 10-24-2007, 09:22 PM   #6
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

The size trowel to use depends on how flat things are, both the floor and the tile. The worse the surface, the bigger the notch trowel. You need enough so that you get good coverage. If the floor is uneven, you need more to level it out.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2007, 04:54 PM   #7
mike051306

okay, I am ready to install my kerdi drain. I have all the plumbing under my basement floor done. I have not pored the concrete back in yet.
1. What is the best way to install the drain in a concrete floor?
a. Should I install the drain on the pipe at the height I want and just push the concrete in around it.
b. Leave an area around the drain concrete free and fill it in when I do the shower pan.
c. something else?

2. Because I will have more then 1 inch under the drain, can I put the drain pretty much at the level of the floor? this would mean the mud would be very thin at the drain location.

3. How long after I pore the concrete floor do I need to wait to pore the shower pan?

thanks,
Michael

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase