Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-06-2007, 07:51 PM   #16
Rd Tile
Tile Man

Hey Bill, I knew those photos would make another appearance, I was just waiting.
Rd Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2007, 09:45 AM   #17
Pescatore

Update of Roman Tubs

Yeterday, I posted a question regarding a roman tub idea I had. Following Mike's (the liberrian) advice, I searched the roman tub threads and found a lot of folks planning projects but precious few reports on progress. I also saw Bill Vincent's amazing work. My tub would be much much smaller than that.

One thing that strikes me after thinking about it is that concrete gives strength, particularly 4" reinforced concrete. I will need to talk to someone regarding how to properly reinforce the sides. I get a lot of inspiration from Fu Tung Cheng's concrete work and have about 700 pds of concrete countertops in the kithchen. (As soon as I tile the bsplash - I'll post pics). Note that I am installing this on a concrete floor that has an additional 3 inch overpour with radiant heating.

I digress.

Seems to me that if I wanted to tile the tub, I would need to de-couple the tile from the concrete. And I would think I'd to this with kerdi. Understanding that this is the most basic part of the plan (I'm at the 0.5% stage) - is this reasonable?

Also, I will not sweat the stopper - I will use a rubber stopper with a nylon loop tied onto it - the original toe operated stopper. For overflow - a notch that spills the water onto the floor for flow into the floor drain (you can form the notch into the concrete. I have to make the plumbing simple.

Redred - have you decided to go through with this project? If so, how is it progressing?

Lou
Pescatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2008, 10:54 AM   #18
redred

It is a few months away yet. I'll get back in the loop when it approaches.

Red in DC
redred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2008, 12:35 PM   #19
msenkpiel

Roman Tub Drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2
...one of the challenges has been coming up with a watertite drain and stopper system.
Please excuse my ignorance, but I'm not exactly clear on what the difficulty is with the drain for a roman tub?

It seems as though it would be basically the same plumbing principles as for a regular tub.

Thanks,
Mike
msenkpiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2008, 10:12 PM   #20
rocket3196
Chris Rogers

roman tub kerdi style

i just completed a roman tub using the kerdi membrane as the key to my success.there was no way to get a new tub up on the second floor w/out blowing the wall out.so with lots of reading and research, we (myself and the homeowner maryanne) dreamed up what she always wanted. we decided that we could build a tub using the schluter shower system. the 32 x 60 base combined with 2 x 4 walls, 1/2" Advantech, 1/2" hardi backer and two layers of kerdi (as to field reps specs) we ended up with a tub 31" x 24" x 60 at the bottom and 65 at the top.what an awesome system to use. the outcome was incredible and i will never do a shower the "other way" again, as well as feeling like i'm being jipped every time i'm in my standard fiberglass tub at home. oh yeah and by the way, we used the standard kerdi drain with a regular 1 1/2 drain for the overflow and just a silicone mat for the stopper. certainly a lot cheaper than the alternative.
Attached Images

rocket3196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2008, 10:19 PM   #21
rocket3196
Chris Rogers

just some more pics

it seems that people want to see pics of these so here you go
Attached Images

rocket3196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2008, 05:40 AM   #22
ddmoit
Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

Thanks for sharing, Rocket. Got a first name we can call you?
Unread 05-18-2008, 08:36 AM   #23
Bill Vincent
Tile Contractor

Mister, that's some stunning work. That belongs in the "best of" thread!!

"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right."

http://www.creativeceramicandmarble.com
Bill Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2008, 10:26 AM   #24
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
On the drain, you can use a standard Kerdi-drain rigged to a standard tub overflow, one with a barrel type, lever-operated, stopper in the overflow pipe (riser). The only challenge is reducing the drain from 2 in. to 1-1/2 in., no challenge at all.

Here is a picture of a free form tub I did on the ferro-cement model. For the armature I used #2 rebar with two layers of galvanized metal lath. I then more or less hand packed the mortar onto the lath. One scratch coat and one flush coat averaging about an inch thick. You would have to tile this with very small mosaics like Bill V. used.
Attached Images

John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2008, 04:02 PM   #25
redred

Tres cool stuff. Simply georgeous tub. (Why do the cobbler's children always go barefoot?)

Glad to see some action in this thread. My project is still a bit away - did my basement bathroom for practice (separate thread - pictures soon (which may be some kind of contribution to the newbies at least, given the interesting approach)), which encouraged me to do my kitchen counters, front steps and walk (outdoors), and foyer (still in rough-in after all these years).

I will be trying to form the tub in a sorta body-shape so that I can lay down and relax while also reducing hot wate useage be eliminating corners. Still thinking about the layered foam for my base. I will report when I get finally going (and likely to have plenty more questions), and agina with results. Promise.

Red in DC
redred is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase