Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-19-2007, 10:29 AM   #1
MAXTBSS

Angry Help, new house with shower problems!!

We have a new house, and the tile floor of the shower is coming apart. The builder is going to fix it, but the way it was put down looks really inadequate. I discovered the tiles were loose by stepping down one day last weekend, a tile shifted, when I looked closer I found all of the tiles around the drain were loose and could be easily picked up out of the grout. The mortar under the tiles looked very sandy, and all of it was moist with the consistency of wet sand, no strength at all. I dug down a bit further and found the rubber liner and when I push in it around the drain, it seems there is nothing but air beneath the rubber.

I realize the entire floor will need to be replaced, but should I also insist on replacing the tile on the walls as well?

I am no expert but the mortar seems to be the wrong material, as it is not waterproof, what was under the tiles was dissolved by water, is this normal?

There was no pan, concrete board, or thin set used anywhere that I can see, I think the rubber was put down on the sub floor, and then the mortar was put on top of that, is this normal?

Thanks for any and all responses!
MAXTBSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-19-2007, 11:47 AM   #2
ddmoit
Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

Welcome to the forum, Max. I wish it were under better circumstances.

I don't know about normal, but it certainly isn't right. It sounds like your shower pan was built without a pre-slope and the tiles were set with mastic. Those are two very big strikes. If I'm right, you don't want anyone who worked on it before to continue working on it. They don't know what they're doing. Odds are that the entire shower is built wrong. Some parts just haven't failed yet.

Some pictures might help. Some real pros will be along before the day is out.
Unread 06-19-2007, 12:01 PM   #3
Scooter
Remodeler -- Southern Cal.

Thats a sick shower, for sure.

I'm no tile pro, just a dumb remodler, but I would ask questions--

1. Is it laid on a preslope?

2. What are the walls? Greenboard or backer board?

3. Weep holes sound clogged. What was done to cover them up to protect them from the mortar? Tile spacers? Pea Gravel? Plastic perforated weep hold shield?

Those are the first questions I would ask. I think I would want a whole new shower, walls and all and I would watch it being built. This is the most expensive square footage in your home.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2007, 05:29 AM   #4
MAXTBSS

Just a followup, I did some checking last night, it seems the hole cut for the drain is way bigger than it should be, so on one half of the drain there is NO support, if you push on the rubber mat there is nothing under it but air!

There is also no pan or anything that would slope the tiles to the drain, just the mortar.

There are also no layers in the mortar as I have seen in some illustrations, just the rubber mat, then the mortar (dark gray sandy and not water proof) then the tile.

I will try and post some photos today, any other ideas are appreciated, thanks.
MAXTBSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2007, 05:48 AM   #5
ddmoit
Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

some photos would be great, Max.

Here's a thread that will help you do it...

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...ad.php?t=14926

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase