Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-15-2007, 03:59 PM   #1
Danrules

Tile problems in new house

I'm getting close to closing on a new house and was able to get a good look at the tile this weekend. First off, the grout is different colors in different parts of the house, parts of the house have the correct grout color we picked while the rest of the house is much lighter.

The other major problem is that the grout job is horribly done. There is no consistency with the amount of grout in the joints. Some of the tiles look good with what looks like an appropriate amount of grout, while there are areas where the grout is very shallow.

The home builder is suggesting that they 1 - stain the grout to match the correct color and 2 - add more grout to areas where needed.

My questions are should I accept this or should I have them re-do all of it properly? (The grout has not been sealed if that makes a difference). Would adding grout over the existing grout create some problems?

I appreciate any feedback as this is a time sensitive issue.

Thanks!!

Dan
Danrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-15-2007, 04:04 PM   #2
Rd Tile
Tile Man

The old grout should be removed at least 2/3rds to install new over the old, then a colorant can be used, if they screwed this up so far, would wonder how they installed all of this to begin with, and, unless they have used a colorant in the past, find someone else, no reason to believe they know what they are doing to begin with, if the job is that bad.
Rd Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2007, 04:07 PM   #3
Jason_Butler
Tile Setter

I'm with RD on this as well.

I see this alot on new homes and on larger projects. The difference in color and grout depth is likely due to different people grouting. There is a technique and having multiple people involved can cause problems.

The colorant is a good option but as RD stated, adding grout to even out the low spots is not an easy task.
Unread 01-15-2007, 04:38 PM   #4
Danrules

Thank you for the advice. The workers are contracted out from the builder. One of the big problems here in Arizona is the builders hire illegal Mexicans to do the work. I saw the 3 workers they had doing the grout and none of them looked to be over 16.

I told the builder I want all the grout taken out and done again. Waiting for their response.

Dan
Unread 01-15-2007, 04:42 PM   #5
Rd Tile
Tile Man

I would also ask what products were used to install those floors and what they are over, well, you can answer that one, wood or concrete slabs?

Just so you know, removeing all of the old grout isn't an easy job, unless you have done it before and have the right tools, one miss and you have a scratched and or chipped tile, this could turn into a disaster, sorry.
Unread 01-15-2007, 04:48 PM   #6
Danrules

The tile is over a concrete slab.

I do realize this would be a big job, but we paid $18,000 for the tile in our new construction house and I'd like it done right. I will continue to hammer them on the fact that they hired illegal aliens to do the job and that I'm not happy with the quality. We're paying over close to $500,000 for the house and feel that we deserve better quality than what we've seen so far.
Unread 01-15-2007, 04:53 PM   #7
Rd Tile
Tile Man

I wouldn't bring up the ellegal issue, the biulder is responsible for this, just take it from there and see what happens.
Unread 01-15-2007, 04:55 PM   #8
Danrules

Good idea, I'm just a bit worked up over the lack of quality. The builders cut corners and just slap these houses together without much regards to the "workmanship".
Unread 01-15-2007, 04:58 PM   #9
Rd Tile
Tile Man

Yup, nothing new.
Unread 01-15-2007, 08:29 PM   #10
swampratxxx

Arizona Homes

Hi Danrules,
I am in the process of rebuilding a tiled shower here in AZ with the help of all these guys. My original shower had no slope and the liner came up a whole
1" in one corner and 1 1/2" in a back corner. The other was as high as the curb. The quality of houses here in general is poor I think. If you want it done right you gotta do it yourself.
Unread 01-16-2007, 12:05 PM   #11
Danrules

Swamprat,

The thing is, I shouldn't have to do it myself since it is new construction. I'm very much considering not closing on the house until they fix it to my satisfaction.

I see it as going and buying a new car and waiting for delivery of the car to come in. The car finally arrives and when you go to pick it up there's a big dent in the side, and the leather seats have a few rips in them. Just because you agreed to purchase the car, should you have to settle for defects?

This could get ugly!!

Dan
Unread 01-16-2007, 12:16 PM   #12
Jason_Butler
Tile Setter

Well Dan I agree with you.

If you are not in a bind, I wouldn't close either.

Once you move in, it's more of an inconvenience and the urgency gets lost as well.

Stand your ground..

Jason
Unread 01-16-2007, 12:27 PM   #13
Danrules

Thanks Jason,

My main concern is the builder trying to hold us in breach of contract and whatever legal BS they come up with. They have $25,000 of our money as a deposit.

We want this house, but I don't think it's too much to ask to expect a decent job done.

Dan
Unread 01-16-2007, 12:30 PM   #14
Forry

Seems it would be cheaper for your builder to fix the problem than to hire lawyers,etc. I'd wait til the problem is fixed to close... they might not ever come back.
Forry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2007, 12:42 PM   #15
Danrules

Update - One of the quality control people from the builder is meeting a rep from the tile installation company at our site today. They are bringing a bag of grout to check versus the color(s) they have in there now.

I did some research on line and found our grout color, 982 Summer Wheat from a company called TEC. This is a dark brown color. I also found a Summer Wheat product from another company that is a very light, tan color. I think this is what they used instead of from the correct company.

I think I found my out for them to redo the entire job!

Dan

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase