Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-11-2006, 02:16 PM   #1
Darren Thomas

Starting a Master Bath complete remodel Shower first

Hello,

I've been lurking for a while and have just about completed an addition to my second story master bath to allow for a larger shower. I started the project because of water seepage in the grout. The house was built about 15 years ago and they used green board, yikes. As I dug in it got worse and worse, mold etc. I ended up gutting the shower area and added several feet to it.

I intend to do the entire bathroom floor in tile and probably will do part way up the walls throughout but that's later. My current shower project is detailed below:

The shower area will be a walk in shower. It will be 5 feet square. I have 8 foot ceilings and will be building a partial wall to close off 2/3rds or a little more of the open area that used to be the glass doorway leaving about 24" open as the walk in area. I'll be using tiles similar to travertine if not travertine itself. Probably use that and a combination of pebbles or smaller tiles for the floor. I'll be putting in several recesses or niches and at least one floating bench also. I intend to do the floor pan as described on this forum as well.

I'd appreciate any advice or "gotchas" I should be aware of. I've worked with tile before but not on the shower floor.

I'll post some drawings tonight or soon as I can. I also have pictures for examples of what I want to accomplish. I can also include pictures of my bathroom and shower. I'm going pretty high end with this as a gift to my wife.

Oh, where can I learn more about the Kerdi system? I am searching now on it but can't seem to find any info on what it entails.

Thanks for any advice! Nice to meet all of you.

Darren

Last edited by Darren Thomas; 08-11-2006 at 02:25 PM.
Darren Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-11-2006, 02:49 PM   #2
Hamilton
Bucket abuser

Hi darren You can purchase John Bridges kerdi book here on the site.
He has done a great job of describing the steps in installing as well as
helpful tips throuhgout the process. The link to the Tileyourworld store
is towards the top of this page on the left side. You can also go to schluter
systems website Here To view all products available and check out
installation instructions.

Hamiltontileandstone.com

Temecula Tile and Natural stone contractor
Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2006, 06:58 PM   #3
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

If you go to the manufacturer's website, you can watch their info video if you have the right drivers installed on your computer. www.schluter.com
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2006, 11:31 AM   #4
Darren Thomas

Thanks for the link. I watched the video and it sure looks like a good system at a very reasonable price. It doesn't appear that they sell the 72" kit but do have a 72" pan. I sent an email asking if they sell the 72" as a kit as well.

I'm installing the floor in my bathroom today and am trying to figure out the size hole I need to leave to accomodate the drain. I'll be roughing in the plumbing as there is no access after the floor is down. I'll leave the last section of pipe that rises to the drain off until I have the system so I can cut it and then glue it permanently to the right height.

Darren

Last edited by Darren Thomas; 08-13-2006 at 03:12 PM.
Unread 08-13-2006, 11:17 AM   #5
Darren Thomas

I roughed in the plumbing and put in new subfloor. I noticed I have one corner that dips 1/4" starting about 18" from the corner and sloping from zero to the 1/4" at the back of the corner. Should I use floor leveling compound or just use the mortar to compensate under the Kerdi pan when the time comes?

Last edited by Darren Thomas; 08-13-2006 at 12:27 PM.
Unread 08-13-2006, 12:30 PM   #6
Darren Thomas

Here is my proposed shower layout. I need to locate the area I should install the fixtures to minimize splashing outside the opening which is 24". This will be a walk-in shower so no door. Suggestions? I'm leaning toward mounting the shower head and controls on the 45 degree wall but want advice as to the best place regardless of that position.

I've also included pictures as examples of what I like. I intend to replicate the niche, the floating bench, and I like the wall tiles 12X12 with tight grout like in the picture. I've never done that before so I wonder if there is a special grout/sealer that is necessary since there is little to no grout (the picture with the delta fixture). Can this be done without grinding the tiles after install? I suppose a high degree of skill would be required to set tiles that close together without too much difference in lip height.
Attached Images

Last edited by Darren Thomas; 08-14-2006 at 12:56 PM.
Unread 08-14-2006, 10:01 AM   #7
Darren Thomas

I purchased both the kerdi book and the tile book.

Darren

Last edited by Darren Thomas; 08-14-2006 at 01:43 PM.
Unread 08-14-2006, 10:11 PM   #8
P.Dieter

You can purchase Kerdi drains and fabric (by the ft) in Seattle at Master Wholesaler - not sure if there's someone else closer to Auburn.

Tile for Less in Sodo had the travertine I just used

P.Dieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2006, 10:48 PM   #9
Darren Thomas

Thanks for the tips Paul. I appreciate that. That travertine looks beautiful.
Unread 08-15-2006, 10:21 AM   #10
Darren Thomas

Anyone have suggestions for the best location of the shower head to minimize any splashing outside the shower? I'm a bit paranoid about this. I don't mind the tile floor outside the shower getting wet, or the tiles that will be on the bathroom wall. I'm mainly concerned about the wood door near the shower opening. Might not be an issue but I would like some advice from you guys on that.

I'm contemplating doing a mud pan vs the Kerdi pan even though they have a size I could use 72" X 72".

Last edited by Darren Thomas; 08-15-2006 at 12:51 PM.
Unread 08-15-2006, 04:46 PM   #11
P.Dieter

I would put a door in anyway, it's so much warmer (comforatable) in the shower with a door. A frameless door would swing in and out for you as well.

P.Dieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2006, 04:51 PM   #12
Darren Thomas

My wife hates cleaning the hard water stains off of glass. Basically it doesn't come off and the glass looks terrible after about a week. She doesn't want a shower door... I didn't think of the heat factor though.

Is there a true foolproof product that will remove hard water stains and soap scum from glass effectively that doesn't require hours of scrubbing? I could possibly talk her into a door if I had a solution for that. I can test on our other shower glass in the guest bathroom if you have a product recommendation.

Are there other tricks besides squeegeeing each time?

Last edited by Darren Thomas; 08-15-2006 at 04:57 PM.
Unread 08-16-2006, 12:08 AM   #13
Woodchik

When I priced custom shower doors at my local Lowe's, their supplier, who I failed to make a note of, offers a coating called Hydroshield, that is supposed to keep the water minerals from sticking to the glass. It's about $40 extra, depending on the size of the glass. I don't know how well it works, but it might be something you could check in to.
Unread 08-16-2006, 12:18 AM   #14
dcousins

there is a product by Zep that works well on these shower doors. it will probably make you infertile from the fumes, but with a little elbow grease it works wonders.
dcousins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2006, 07:45 AM   #15
Darren Thomas

Very interesting. I'll look into both solutions. I found more information on the HydroShield at hydroshield.net.

Thanks for the info.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase