Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-26-2006, 11:20 AM   #1
ClemsonS197

Newbie, Slab prep for ceramic tile.....

Sorry for the newbie question, but i've searched alot and have conflicting answers.

I'm about to rip up my linoleum kitchen floor, that is glued down to the slab. My house is slab on grade. There is no padding of any sort. I plan on installing 12x12 tiles w/ 1/8" spacing. I read I need to get the glue off the slab. What's the best method? Just scraping, or using a solvent? Also, I read that if my slab absorbs water, I can lay down a thinset and go. But if it has a sealer, then do I use another cleaner/solvent or do I scuff it up with a wheel (what kind?) on a grinder? I have an angle grinder I can buy a wheel for if I need to do that.

Also, my slab has no real thick cracks, just some spider lines with no vertical displacement between the pieces. It does have very minor waves in it. Would you recommend a thinset or medium bed? Also, I've noticed a ton of members dropping name brands and types for various installs. Any advice on this application? Thanks for the help.

-Kevin <= My first name. See I did search, I saw you call out everyone w/o a name.
ClemsonS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-26-2006, 12:09 PM   #2
bbcamp

Kevin, welcome to the forum! And thanks for the first name!

Like you probably read, how much work you have to do depends on teh glue they used. So the first thing is to pull up a corner and tell us what you find.

Mechanical removal is preferred over solvents. Solvents can jsat drive the glue into the concrete and form a bond-breaking layer. Scrape what you can with a 4" razor scraper, then do the water absorption test.

Once you get you slab cleaned up, measure the flatness by using a 8 foot long straight edge and measuring the gap between it and the floor. Do it ins several locations and orientations to get a clear picture of your floor topography. Let us know what you find.

The products you will need depend on these 2 homework assignments.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2006, 07:10 PM   #3
sandbagger

you might drop by the rental crib at homer's - I was there awhile back to check on a bead blaster when the guy pointed to a "scarifier" (I think that's what he called it). The guy said it's great for prepping floors for tile. Leaves a roughed-up surface and takes off glue, paint, pretty much anything that's on the surface. Rental included a big vacuum to suck it all up. Best part is it's LOTS cheaper than the bead blaster. I'll be renting one shortly but still have some work that could add more mess to the floor.

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests."

Patrick Henry
sandbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2006, 06:00 AM   #4
ClemsonS197

Bob -

I called my supplier last night and only 1/2 my tile has arrived, and the rest wont be in for another week or two, so my homework will have to wait I guess. I'd get another supplier, but the price is too good not to wait. Thanks for the help guys, hopefully I can start soon.

-Kevin
ClemsonS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2006, 06:02 AM   #5
bbcamp

You could start your floor prep before the tiles arrive.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase