Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 02-09-2006, 02:45 PM   #1
wireman

prep for laying ceramic tile over ceramic tile

I'm planning to lay the same tiles over the existing tile in my shower to fix the drainage problem. It's a large shower 4'X5' (The installer I hired screwed it up. It's a long story). I have tiled over tile before and I roughened it with my grinder wheel.
I'm wondering if this is totally necessary as I would like to avoid this if possible.
Is there an easier way (and less dusty) . I was thinking about sanding it with a heavy grit sandpaper, but I don't think this will roughen it much. Maybe that would just take off some sealer. And what about using conctete adhesive as well.
I would really just like to slather it with thinset throw it together and call it good But I'm worried about good adhesion. Thank you for all replies, >james
wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-09-2006, 02:54 PM   #2
DonB

Hi James,

If the moh of your tile is less than the moh of the sandpaper, it will work just fine. If not, the tile will win that battle.

Don
DonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2006, 05:01 PM   #3
Dog paws
Tileman

I wouldn't bother with sanding it. Just clean it real good and use something like CustomFlex/MasterBlend or Kerabond/Keralastic. That will weld the two tiles together.
Unread 02-09-2006, 05:35 PM   #4
1Eric

Do you have to build it up to fix drainage problem? I usually clean the tile really well and use laticrete 317 and 333. Kerabond/keralastic is very sticky also.
1Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2006, 10:19 AM   #5
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Hi James

I use the products that Eric uses. Make sure that you have all soap film removed. Use a high alkaline product, such as Stone Techs KlenzAll.

Are you just using a drop in drain cover? Did they prepitch the pan liner? Is everything waterproofed correctly at the curb and jamb?

You may have more issues to deal with, than just improper drainage.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase