Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-06-2002, 01:06 PM   #1
larrybunt

HAS ANYONE OUT THERE USED DITRA BEFORE?
I PLAN ON USING IT, BUT WOULD LIKE SOME INPUT FROM SOMEONE WHO HAS ACTUALLY USED IT BEFORE.
I HAVE FLOOR TRUSSES AT 19.2" ON CENTER WITH 3/4" PLYWOOOD. I TALKED WITH THE MANUFACTURER, AND THEY SAID THAT I CAN INSTALL THE DITRA DIRECTLY ON THE 3/4" PLYWOOD, THEN THE TILE ONTO THE DITRA! THIS SEEMS KIND OF SCARY, BUT THEY GUARANTEE IT. HAS ANYBODY DONE AN APPLICATION LIKE THIS? HOW WERE THE RESULTS.
ANY INPUT WOULD BE APPRECIATED GREATLY.

THANKS............LARRY

larrybunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-06-2002, 01:09 PM   #2
Bud Cline
Tile Contractor -- Central Nebraska

If that's what they say then that's what you do.

Most of us here have used it and are very satisfied with it.

In fact...there is a whole lot of information here about DITRA as well as a link to their website in the Reference Liberry...hey...you could do a search and see what turns up.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2002, 04:26 PM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Larry,

Ditra's great stuff. I would screw the plywood to the trusses before gluing the matting down. 19 in. is a stretch. If the folks at Schluter say it'll work, though, it'll work.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2002, 04:44 PM   #4
Terry O'Neill
Virginia Tile Contractor

Larry,
I've used it the last 3 years. 16" on center, 19.2" o/c, and 24" o/c. Never had a call back. Just make sure you follow Schluter's directions to the tee to validate their warranty.
Terry O'Neill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2002, 06:28 PM   #5
Rob Z

Hi Larry

Terry and I have the same Schluter rep (also named Larry), and he assures us that Schluter will stand by the product if it is installed correctly and to their specs. I have known Larry for 12 years , and he is a man of his word.

I have great faith in the Schluter Company and the representatives that I have met so far.
Unread 05-06-2002, 07:17 PM   #6
larrybunt

Wow, thanks for all the input guys......this is an excellent forum. I just found this forum yesterday and have been reading many of the posts that go way back.
Until a few days ago, I was planning on going with 1/2" hardi-backer over the plywood. After reading many of the previous posts, I was leaning on using the 1/4" hardi-backer since height is an issue. Now I have discovered ditra, and they will guarantee their product wit a 3/4" subfloor over floor trusses spaced at 19.2" on center. I dont think hardi-backer will guarantee their 1/4" backer over the subfloor since the total thickness is not 1-1/8".
As Mentioned earlier, I planned on putting an additional layer of 1/2" plywood over the existing 3/4" subfloor. After reading many of the posts I would like to install the ditran directly to the 3/4" plywood, but there is a significant price difference in the ditra vs the hard--backer.
I can get ditra at home depot for about $1.30 per square foot, and hardi-bakcer runs about .75 per square foot. I have about 800 square foot to do which is about a $450.00 difference between the two.
Is ditra worth the price difference? From what I've read, it seems like it, but I would like to hear from someone that has used both products.

Thanks again..............Larry
larrybunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2002, 07:30 PM   #7
Bri
The Ditra Kid

Hi Larry
You may be able to get a better price for the Ditra, at a local tile shop...HD really has the stuff marked up a lot. And I should also point out that Ditra is much, much easier to install than backerboard...You can install all the Ditra easily in a day...the backerboard is much more time consuming and you'll be dead tired when you are finished.

“The world is a tangled up necklace of pearls"
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2002, 08:55 PM   #8
Jaz
Michigan Tile Pro

Talking

Hi Larry,

Ditra will actualy cost you less because you won't need another layer of plywood under the cement board. As mentioned it's much easier (almost fun) to install as compared to backer. The best part is that it'll work as stated, it's a recognized method in the Tile Council of America handbook. (Method F148)

I don't think $1.30 is too bad retail. You might do a little better since you need about 2 1/2 rolls. Bri must work pretty fast, I don't think I could lay that much in a day. But then he's a little younger.

Jaz
Jaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2002, 09:06 PM   #9
Bud Cline
Tile Contractor -- Central Nebraska

It's in the labor man...the savings is in the labor.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2002, 10:41 AM   #10
Marko F

I have used Ditra in three seperate applications in my home. (foyer, & 2 baths). I have joist 16" OC, a 1/2" plywood subfloor, and a 3/4" plywood underlayment. I put the Ditra directly onto the plywood in all apllications, my tile came out very nice. I would definately recomend the product. It is more expensive than cement board, but worth the extra money in the long run. In my opinion a floor done over Ditra, provided it is done right, is a premium tile job!!
Marko F is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase