Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-01-2021, 07:50 PM   #16
Snets
Professional Weekend Warrior

MC, I don't think those 1.25" pieces will look bad or odd at all, even without the coffee maker. Sounds like it it going to look great.

My FIRST Kerdi Shower Project

Always look in the LIBERRY
Snets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2021, 03:36 PM   #17
Prerunner

Thanks snets I don’t think it will look to bad either. when I checked to see how level my countertops were today with my laser I discovered my cabinets were out 5/16” from one side of the kitchen to the other so I spent about 4hrs cutting each individual tile on my wet saw so the starting row would be perfectly level with each other. The one thing I was wondering about was when you guys caulk around the tile do you match the tile or the grout? I prefer the colour of the grout but it seems to be a mixed review.

Last edited by Prerunner; 04-02-2021 at 03:44 PM.
Prerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2021, 03:54 PM   #18
Snets

I prefer matching, sanded caulk.

Unread 04-02-2021, 04:18 PM   #19
Prerunner

Matching what lol? Tile or grout. When it comes to tiling I’m obviously a weekend warrior so can someone advise on what the standard is for expansion joints from the tile to countertop, is it 1/8”?
Unread 04-02-2021, 04:29 PM   #20
Snets

Matching the grout you use for the tile. Most grout manufacturers also make caulking, including sanded caulking, that match their grout colors. Look for it where you purchase your grout, its in a caulking gun-type tube.

It will look virtually identical to your grout, same texture and color. I prefer to tape a nice, tight line on the countertop after the grout is cured and get that seam to look as if it was actually grout.

My personal opinion is that seam between countertop and backsplash should match the backsplash grout, I think it would look odd if it did not. But that's just my opinion.
Attached Images

Unread 04-03-2021, 06:31 AM   #21
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Color Rite is also an option. MC. https://colorriteinc.com/color-rite/
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2021, 05:01 PM   #22
Prerunner

Layout question

So I have a question regarding the Layout of centerlines around certain items like range/hood and windows. So my kitchen is a standard L shape with the range/hood on one wall and the window and sink on the other. When I was doing my layout I was making it so Center of the tile lines up with Center of the range and hood but when I wrapped the corner the tiles were not Center to the sink/window. Would you,
- Center it to the range and except whatever it is at the sink/window or would you,
-Center it to the range then Center it to the window on the other wall and when you get to your corner the cuts are what they are?

Right now I’m Center to the range and the corners end up on a full tile but when they wrap the wall they end up 2.5” off Center of the window and sink.

Thanks
Unread 04-11-2021, 06:12 PM   #23
Snets

Without some photos, hard to say. Wherever the main focal point lies, is where I would center. I'd wager that the range and hood is the spot.

Unread 04-11-2021, 06:33 PM   #24
Prerunner

It definitely is and that’s where I started. I’m not to far into the second wall to remove some tiles and Center to the sink as well but that would then put me at odd sized tiles in the corner. I wouldn’t equal 1 full tile which is what I believed to be a standard in the corners. Either end on a full tile or whatever you cut off you must use to start the row on the other wall. I’m also not tiling right up to the ceiling around the window, only to the underside of the cabinets so that equals 4 rows up the side of the window and by the time I’m put my sill extension back on along with the apron there is only 80% of a row showing below the window.

Last edited by Prerunner; 04-11-2021 at 06:53 PM.
Unread 04-11-2021, 07:37 PM   #25
Prerunner

My point being is In my particular layout I could only Center to
One focal point and wanted to know if people do the method where you Center to 2 focal points on different walls and end up with whatever is left on the inside corner which probably won’t equal 1 tile. To me this looks very odd
Unread 04-11-2021, 08:48 PM   #26
Snets

If it's not a focal point where you end up with whatever is left I, would not worry about it. You have only one size tile and a pre-defined linear space. That does not leave many options so you have to choose one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prerunner
I wouldn’t equal 1 full tile which is what I believed to be a standard in the corners. Either end on a full tile or whatever you cut off you must use to start the row on the other wall.
That may be a "method" but I do not believe it is a rule. Here is my example: This corner is not a focal point. I did not care how the tiles turned out, nobody is staring at that corner. However, the right end of the backsplash is right by a doorway, which I did care about, so I ended (or really, began) tiling to the left, starting with fulls and halves. Trust me I am a picky perfectionist (ask Mrs. Snets) and I have no issue with it. Plus those (or next weeks) bananas tend to reside in that corner.
Attached Images

Unread 04-12-2021, 03:06 AM   #27
Prerunner

Looks good snet but it appears that in your corner you ended up with at least the same size tile on both walls so even though it doesn’t equal a full tile it is symmetrical . For my particular layout I end on a full tile on the side of the range and if I want to stay Center on the window I would meet that full tile in the corner with a tile that is 2.5” shorter.
Unread 04-12-2021, 08:47 PM   #28
Snets

That is true, just how it turned out, not planned. I don't think I would have balked at any of those end tiles in the corner being an inch or more.

Below pictured is my laundry room corner where I made the door end the focal point (full and half subways) and you can see how the corner turned out. (I cannot figure out why some of the clear glass tiles look darker in photos, it must be the lighting because they are all the same and in person look the same) And I the perfectionist do not even notice it, nor does anyone.

I'm not sure you will get much more input without some photos of the whole project and then some closer shots of the questionable areas and some of your tile. You might prompt someone to say, "Oh, wow, now I see what he's worried about."
Attached Images

Unread 04-12-2021, 10:51 PM   #29
Prerunner

Snets,

Although in that picture you didn’t end on a full tile/half tile combo you
Still followed what is deemed correct by ending on a cut tile and whatever you cut off you used for your first piece on the same row of the opposing wall so it gives the illusion that the tile wraps around the corner.

Now in my pictures you can see the tile lines up Center of the stove(range fan is not shown because it isn’t installed yet, tiles are not done to the ceiling either) and in order for it to be Center of the stove I end on a full/half tile combo. So I started the opposing wall on the same full/half tile combo but I’m now off Center of the window by 2.5”. My problem is in order to get the tile Center of the window as well I would have to move everything on the window wall to the left 2.5” which would make my corners end on a full/half tile combo on the stove side and start with a 9.5”/3.5” tile on the window side. So I would have neither of the “proper” corner techniques and would end up with a random pattern in the corner that doesn’t equate to a full tile whether I end on a full tile or wrap the corner with two pieces equaling a full tile.

Now my wife thinks I’m crazy and wants me to leave it , I just don’t know how well it will look when I have those 1.250” pieces to the left of the window and on the right of the window instead of having 1.250” pieces I end up with 3.750” pieces....
Attached Images

Last edited by Prerunner; 04-12-2021 at 10:59 PM.
Unread 04-15-2021, 09:29 PM   #30
Snets

Sorry I have been away for a bit. Your install looks great, listen to the Mrs., if she thinks it looks good, who cares what we think?

It does look fine to me, I see nothing I would fix. At least your window is centered between the cabinets, mine is not.

Like I said before, you are stuck with what you were dealt, And I think you did well. It looks good.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase