Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 03-30-2021, 06:38 PM   #1
max 93

Is one uncoupling membrane better than another?

I’m looking at a tile floor install that is concrete with hydronic heat over Spancrete. The original tile install failed with tiles popping of soon after it was done 25 years ago. Pretty sure it was caused by the shrinking of the concrete and no expansion joints anywhere in the concrete or the tile. The customer wants the new tile installed with an uncoupling membrane. What are your thought on Ditra with All Set under the membrane and to install the tile VS Stratamat with 254 to install the membrane and Tri lite to install tile?
Unread 03-30-2021, 07:48 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

In response to your thread title, Matt, I can say with authority that don't nobody know.

Some day, when the industry actually develops testing and a standard for those products, we'll be able at least to show you the test results and let you decide which you prefer. Today, all you have to go by is the various manufacturers' claims. And without a standard, there's no way to dispute any of those.

If you're concerned with crack isolation for the new installation, I recommend you look into a good crack isolation membrane. For those there is a standard -ANSI A118.12.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2021, 04:00 PM   #3
Nick Drake

Not a clue on whether either is truly better for crack isolation.

Strata is going to let you use a modified thinset for bonding the tile without an extended cure time with the grace of the manufacture. If it's large porcelain and time is of the job is a factor I'd probably opt strata just for that piece of mind.

Big downside to working on strata, the "hydration vents" in it are pretty uncomfortable on your supporting hand. If it's any sizeable square footage grab a float to rest your hand on when you're prefilling.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase