Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-12-2021, 08:55 PM   #1
Rak1978

Shower Pan and Door

Greetings. We recently had a new shower installed and when we attempted to install a shower door noticed the pan is not level. The outside corners are higher and dips toward the middle. Still drains correctly on the inside. Contractor says he will install the doors and fill with caulk. This seems like a bad idea. Thoughts and suggestions?
Attached Images

Unread 01-12-2021, 10:01 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Ryan.

I think what you're telling us is that the ledge of that shower receptor is not flat, rather than not level. Would that be a fair statement?

I can't tell what you might be showing us in the photo with the measuring tape.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2021, 10:09 PM   #3
Rak1978

Yes, that is correct the ledge is not flat. I was using the measure tape to try and show how far off it is. The center of the ledge is half inch lower than the corners.

The pan itself is not level either. Corners are all off.
Unread 01-12-2021, 10:13 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Have you brought this to the attention of the contractor who installed the receptor?

How long ago was this work done?

A half-inch is waaaay too much to "correct" with caulking.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2021, 10:23 PM   #5
Rak1978

The GC won't hold the contractor who installed the receptor accountable and says his shower door guy will make it work with caulk. Says they see this all the time and it's normal. This sounded like a horrible idea in my opinion. Assuming the only way to fix this is take the receptor out and reinstall??
Unread 01-13-2021, 07:15 AM   #6
bottlefed

Wow, no tile expert here but its for just that reason I feel the need to comment.

Although I have only done a handful of showers I would never try to pass of that kind of work as acceptable.

When contractors are not holding their subs accountable for work that faulty, its truly sad. However as someone who works as a handyman, I see it (shoddy craftsmanship) more each day many times on houses over a million dollars in value. This kind of work is really a sad reflection on the majority of others who take pride in their craft.

I wish you the best in finding a satisfactory resolution to your project.
Unread 01-13-2021, 07:18 AM   #7
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Welcome, Ryan,

It looks to me that a tub to shower conversion was done, and the receptor used is a pre-fab one piece unit. Dollars to donuts that the manufacture of the receptor did not include the center dip, and the manufacturer calls for the floor it is installed on to be flat and level right in their installation instructions.

A 1/2" of caulk will fail, and fairly quickly, not to mention look terrible.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2021, 07:48 AM   #8
Rak1978

Hello Dan. You are correct we switched from a tub to a shower and used that pan.

Beside not being able to mount the door without adding all that caulk to the gap we are also concerned the pan may fail from the additional stress of being out of level. The GC says that won't happen because there is mortar under the base. Link to the base we used below.

https://www.menards.com/main/bath/sh...795658&ipos=16

Appreciate all the feedback. I am learning on the go here and want to make sure I am well informed before approaching the GC again!

Ryan
Unread 01-13-2021, 08:07 AM   #9
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I'm with the others, I wouldn't let them caulk it. When installed, it should be set level and flat.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase