Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-22-2014, 03:50 PM   #1
zkm

Complete Master bath re-model

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum, this is a great resource to have !!! Thanks everyone. Definitely not new to DIY though and bringing an occasional pro to help with work that I would likely screw up

We purchased a house earlier in the year and although I knew there were some short cuts taken I didn't think our master would give out this quickly. We found a leak in the shower wall and although we planned on re-doing it, this early wasn't the plan. So I have started researching how to build a seamless glass enclosed steam shower without a dam.

Our existing shower has a tiled floor on top of a slab, so I will need to demolish all the tile including the shower pan, move some plumbing around to open up more space for the shower. Our ceiling is also 7 feet and there is no way to make it higher.

So my question is what approach should I take to build this shower and how would i go about doing it on the slab once the tile is demolished. I've been researching Schluter Kerdi board, I am familiar with Hardiebacker.

All responses are appreciated. Mean while I will continue reading the board.

Thanks
Unread 10-22-2014, 04:53 PM   #2
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Kerdi is an excellent way to go. A properly built Kerdi shower is monolithic and should never leak. If you can find a tile technician conversant with the product, you should be a Happy Camper.

If you want to put a location in your information, you might well be able to find a "Pro" in your area.....
Unread 10-23-2014, 12:11 PM   #3
zkm

I added my location.

If I wanted to do a curbless shower, once I demolish the existing shower and the existing tile floor. I will have a "flat" surface. The shower area will need a slope. So once the slope is built, I assume I will have to raise the outside of the shower tiles to the same level?

I also plan on doing radiant heating which will raise the floor some. What are the actual steps to do curbless shower?

Thanks

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase