Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-14-2012, 12:01 PM   #1
btlazenby

About to get into a master bath overhaul...

Hi everyone,

First off thanks for all the wonderful advice on the forum. I'm a first time advice seeker, but the wealth of info on this site has been great in previous projects.

I'm about to convert a small bedroom into a master bath and just wanted to go over a few things. I will continue to search the site on these topics, so I apologize if it's repetitive.

1. I've been through the deflecto calculator and I seem to be fine. I'm in a 1960's house which is hard and sturdy, like my mother-in-law. 2x10 Joists, 16" OC, 11 ft. spans. The subfloor is 1x8's laid on a diagonal and there's another 3/4 inch layer of particle board that I'm going to have to rip out. All good so far? Can I go back with an exterior grade 5/8 ply over the sub? I will be using larger tiles, don't know if it makes a difference, but likely 10"x20" tiles.

2. I've used ditra in the past and now a believer. Will use it here. Anyone have any concerns with suntouch warming tapemats? I wanted to put the mat on the ply, then thinset with the ditra. Is this ok? These mats worth the $? My wife is really putting her foot down for this.

3. Because of my new love of schluter, I'm going to go for the kerdi shower kit. I've done a mud base before, but this system looks really cool and faster. If I use the kerdi shower pan, is there anyone who has 'extended' it with a mud deck for custom sizes? It seems from most folks here that doing a mud only shower pan is the way to go and ditch the kerdi pan. But would like to know if anyone else has gotten that to work out just fine. Seems like it would be just as easy.

4. as for tiling on Schluter, I've used Mapei Kerabond in the past - assuming this is still ok enough? It's all I can find being only a diy'er. Also, I noticed that Mapei sells a mud base also, but only looks to be a 4:1 ratio. Anyone ever used it?

5. Roll Tide!

Again, thanks for any thoughts. I will post more questions to this thread as I really get into it. I'll also try to post pics as I go through. I'm in the middle of buying everything now. Likely to be about 2-3 weeks till I get started (right after Thanksgiving).

Thomas, Huntsville, AL
Unread 11-14-2012, 12:32 PM   #2
bbcamp

1) Exterior rated 5/8" plywood with no face grade less than C is fine.

2) I dunno if heat mats are worth the money in Huntsville Al. If your wife's foot is bare when she puts it down on the tile, then she'll want the heat.

3) You can extend the Kerdi tray with deck mud if you want.

4) I can't keep up with Kera-stuff. Let the price be your guide. If it costs $15 or so a bag, it's probably good enough. Mud mix at 4:1 is fine. 3:1 is almost too rich, 5:1 is as lean (less Portland cement) as you'll want.

5) That's it, just rub it in! Gig'em Aggies!
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 04:00 PM   #3
btlazenby

Thanks Bob. It could be July and she would still think the floor needed to be warmer. And yeah, last weekend was rough. Game drove me to too much drinking.

If anyone else has thoughts or personal reviews on warming mats, i'm all ears.
Unread 11-16-2012, 11:13 AM   #4
btlazenby

I found where I can buy D25 Ditra Set online. I'm assuming this would be a great choice for applying Kerdi as well as tile on Kerdi. Is this the right stuff? Didn't know what the D25 referred to.
Unread 11-16-2012, 04:24 PM   #5
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Certainly good stuff. If, on the other hand...it isn't readily available, try DalTile and the Laticrete 317. Equally good and a bunch cheaper.....
Unread 11-16-2012, 05:06 PM   #6
btlazenby

thank you Laz. It looks like I may be able to get Laticrete 272. I'm assuming that's good vs. 317 also and cheaper than ditra set!
Unread 11-17-2012, 08:30 AM   #7
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi Thomas,

Back up a step for the sake of clarification here. After you've placed the mat down onto the plywood, you'll need to bury the wires. If this burying is to be accomplished via thinset (vs. using self leveling cement), then modified thinset is required for this part of the install.

After this layer dries, then it's time to bring out the unmodified thinset. You can use any of the three unmodified thinsets you mentioned to install the Ditra down (and set the tile).

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2012, 06:42 PM   #8
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Thomas~ Yes the 272 would probably "work" for you, but Laticrete recommends using an additive for maximum strength.....something you DON'T need in this case. The 317 is a bit more "creamy" and easier to spread for the kERDI.

You "Pays your money and you take your chances" here. I would just use the 317 mixed with water. I KNOW it works great for me.......(I like the white)
Unread 11-17-2012, 10:01 PM   #9
Mister Tall

Hey Thomas
I bought all of my kerdi supplies at Robert f Henry in Huntsville. Prices are good and they know what they are doing. I actually bought my tile there too. They sold me the prospec 275 unmodified thinset for the kerdi work. They will have all the supplies you will need for your project. They sell the ditra also but I elected to use permabase on my floors. They sell that also.
Unread 11-18-2012, 11:13 PM   #10
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Retired Moderator

Laticrete 272 would be my choice if I could get it. It's Laticrete's premium unmodified.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2012, 01:21 PM   #11
btlazenby

Thanks everyone on the thinset advice and great tip on the Tile shop in Huntsville...I will head there next. I'll be back soon with pics, etc. as i'm sure I'll have questions once I actually get into i.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase