Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-09-2012, 01:05 PM   #1
bpittman13

Curbless shower questions

I have a disabled brother and we need to have wheelchair access to the shower in a relatively small bathroom (6x7). Using the wonderful instructions on John's How to's i have built a shower with a curb in my basement on a concrete slab. However for this shower its curbless with no concrete slab. It currently has tongue and grove and I plan to go over atop that with plywood and rip the shower area to the joist not notch and drop for my slope. So my first question is how to build my pan or should I try to get a prefab sloped one? (I would love to DI(Y)M route)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by bpittman13; 07-09-2012 at 06:06 PM.
bpittman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-09-2012, 05:22 PM   #2
reefone
tile setter

i would look into schluter kerdi.basically u build the shower and put the kerdi over it which is waterproof. there is a little more to it then that but you get the idea. ive got a curbless shower coming up in a couple weeks and that is the rout im going.
Unread 07-09-2012, 09:48 PM   #3
PetrH

you need to notch out the joists the shower area about two inches and sister them. then build a shower pan with a kerdi drain and extend the kerdi about two feet outside the shower. http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...1&d=1341892092
Attached Images

Unread 07-09-2012, 10:20 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, bpittman13. Would you please change that permanent signature line to a first name for us to use?

I think the first thing you need to do is evaluate your joist structure to be sure you're not gonna need more work there for your shower and tile installation. You can start with our Deflectometer above for a quick go/no-go answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpittman13
It currently has tongue and grove and I plan to go over atop that with plywood and rip the shower area to the joist not notch and drop for my slope.
I, for one, need more explanation on that. Tongue and groove what, for example? And is it that you intend to add plywood outside the shower area to raise the floor, or am I misunderstanding it all?

The size of your shower will be a large factor in how much of a difference in height between drain and bathroom floor, you'll need. That size will also determine whether you can qualify the area as a barrier-free bathroom for purposes of getting by your local code compliance inspector with your probable lack of adequate drain depth. You aughta have that discussion with him before you commit further, if you've not already.

To your specific question, I would always recommend making your own shower floor. Always easier to get the exact size you need with the drain in the exact location you have available, etc.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 09:44 AM   #5
bpittman13

the deflection calculated was 0.327 inches

Here is a mock up of possible layout

it's an older home were 1x4 tongue and groove is placed over the joist. I planned on going over that with plywood.

I've seen kerdi(high as an eagle's beak) and arc.. and a few others on the net with the pre slope base for curbless. Are there any other good guys who may be cheaper but not cheaper?

If I were to build my own? How would i go about that for curbless would I make a lower subfloor and deckmud?(steps?)

Thanks!!
Attached Images

Unread 07-10-2012, 08:20 PM   #6
bpittman13

I actually don't mind notching the joists, and if thats the best method then I can start in that direction. So please give let me know and add in steps to my list that I may have missed or problems I need to watch out for or may run into

1) calculate the dimesions of my shower floor
2) caculate slope to drain
3) notch joist accordingly to allow for plywood and deck mud?
a)fit plywood
b)fit drain
c)lay pvc liner (how far do i run it outside shower or cover entire floor?)
d)slope deck mud
?
Unread 07-11-2012, 04:42 AM   #7
chuck stevenson
Contractor -- Schluterville Graduate

What is below this shower area?
You may be able to rework the framing and support it with a closet below.

Have you considered making the entire 6'x7' area a wet room?

No curb, walk-in shower.
chuck stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2012, 04:56 AM   #8
bpittman13

Bob,

So in place of the pvc liner you would use a liquid linear?(which would you suggest) Would this also be used for my corners and seams or would i fab some corners? I wouldn't mind the extra expense being that i'm doing my on pan.

Chuck

Shower is on the first floor. If i membrane the whole floor, what other steps must I consider to make the whole space a wet room?

Thanks!

Last edited by bpittman13; 07-11-2012 at 05:55 AM.
Unread 07-11-2012, 08:04 AM   #9
bpittman13

Ok so lets say i go with the laticrete your saying go with the LATICRETE Hydro Ban Bonding Flange Drain correct?

Now for Kerdi do they have a similar product or is it their preformed pan system?

Price and ease of installation in mind which would be my best method to follow?

thanks
Unread 07-11-2012, 10:34 AM   #10
cx
Moderator emeritus

I'm not so sure Kerdi will work with the new Laticrete bonding flange drain. That drain has no fleece on the bonding flange and is specifically designed for Laticrete's liquid-applied waterproofing membranes, rather than bonding with a thinset mortar.

I think you'd wanna talk with one or both manufacturers (Schluter and Laticrete) before trying that combination.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2012, 11:19 AM   #11
bpittman13

Just a thought... what if I

3) notch out joist
4) Deck mud
5) liner across entire floor
6) drain install
7)Deck mud entire floor (level or slight slope to drain)
8)lathe ?
Unread 07-11-2012, 11:31 AM   #12
bpittman13

so deck mud needs to be 1 1/2 inch thick through out? (outside my shower area would I just be able to do plywood, tar paper? pvc liner, mud? <-- lathe somewhere in there?

Yes, that should be a problem I will have to reframe the door anyway because I will have to widen the door.

Last edited by bpittman13; 07-11-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Unread 07-13-2012, 08:52 AM   #13
bpittman13

So if i go this route w/ pvc liner and deck mud over the whole floor. my shower area should be about 1 1/2 inches thick w/deck mud but once outside my shower area is it ok to lay the pvc liner over the plywood and possibly a 1/2 inch of deck mud over the liner then redgard. over/under kill?

Thanks

Last edited by bpittman13; 07-13-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Unread 07-13-2012, 11:41 AM   #14
bpittman13

Also shower won't be completely open there would be about a 4 foot high divider wall so entire floor won't be getting water.
Unread 07-25-2012, 12:38 PM   #15
bpittman13

Correct me if i'm wrong (curbless shower steps on wooden sub)

Ok, I've done a few weeks of reading on installing a curbless shower here are my steps please correct me if i'm wrong or advise.
Thanks

1) cut out 1x4 planks in my shower area
2)Notch joist to give me depth for my slope
3)sister joists
4)go atop of 1x4 on non shower area with plywood (to decrease notch out
depth in shower area)
5)install drain in the shower area
6)plywood, tar paper and lathe shower area
7)deckmud preslope to drain
*8)lay and cut 30 mil membrane in shower area
*9)deckmud
10)redguard over shower walls and non shower floor

Could i skip step 8 and 9 by just doing the whole floor and going atop my deckmud with redguard?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase